Withdrawing funds to personal bank

PCON22
Contributor
Contributor

This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time.  When I attempt to withdraw funds from Paypal to my bank account I am prompted to link my account.  This is not a problem initially but when Paypal attempts to make the two small test deposits to link the accounts, the test deposits are returned and I am left at a standstill.

I have called Paypal's Customer Service regarding the issue and I received no resolve.  I was told to make sure that my bank (Suntrust) accepts electronic deposits (which they do) and to confirm that I have the correct bank account information (which I do).  I played along and contacted my bank (Suntrust) and was told that I needed to resolve the issue with Paypal.

I've gone back and forth now for quite some time with Paypals Customer Service trying to resolve the issue but to no avail.

I received a helpful direct response to my inquiry on the old forums from Oliviay.  However, my response is the same, I know that Suntrust accepts deposits from Paypal.

What needs to be done to make this problem go away?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Paypal link bank account setup problems.

PCON22,

The test deposits need to be accepted by the bank in order to complete the confirmation process. If the bank refuses them, the bank account will not be able to be confirmed and may be incompatible for use with PayPal, unless the bank can make some sort of concession to accept the deposits. This is very rare. Is it a credit union or some other type of small bank?

If you have another bank that can be used, you can begin the process with that one.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Olivia

Hi PCON22, and thank you for coming back to the forums!

When you talked to Suntrust, did they say what the nature of the problem is? Did they show that there was any sort of reason that they were bouncing the deposits? I understand that they told you to resolve things with PayPal, but I'm unclear about what they're identifying as the item to be resolved.

I am sorry to hear that you've reached a dead end. If the bank doesn't accept the two deposits, the process can't be completed with that bank. Even if the bank would later accept the other withdrawals, the refusal of the initial small deposits will prevent the confirmation.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PCON22
Contributor
Contributor

They didn't identify anything in particular with the deposits being bounced.  I have relatives that have their Suntrust and Paypal accounts linked so I don't know why there is an issue with mine.

The only response I received from Paypal customer service was that Suntrust was probably rejecting the test deposits because Paypal is not considered a Banking instituition.

Is there a resolution department internally at Paypal that makes outreach to determine issues with banks?

Edit:

I also found this post from a thread I was reading in September of 2011.  I know that Suntrust uses ACH transfers but I haven't been able to confirm why such transfers from Paypal have failed to clear.

Re: says Need further review??

Welcome to the boards!

This sort of error is typically caused when the bank was added and the random deposits were returned to PayPal as effectively undeliverable.  This could be for a number of reasons, especially if the account was new at the bank (recently opened).  Before you ask to have the bank re-enabled, check in with the bank and make sure that it can both send and receive electronic ACH transfers.  If it will, ask them for the external routing number and the bank account number that would be used for electronic ACH transfers.  The "external" is especially important if this a credit union.Once you have that, try to add the bank again one last time.  If it doesn't go through, shoot our agents a request via the "Contact Us" link. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi PCON22,

Have you tried the suggestions Adrian made in that post? Those are definitely some additional options to explore that we didn't cover. i hope that holds the key to getting your bank confirmed!

If it was helpful to you, please come back and let us know. The Community would love to know of any resolution that can be reached in your situation.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PCON22
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

I have taken the steps as requested by Adrian and to no avail.

The bank account is not new and it is not a credit union.

Still unable to link paypal to my Suntrust account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi PCON22,

When a bank rejects a deposit, it also returns a response that gives a generalized definition of the reason. For instance, the response may be that the account is closed, or that the account number is formatted incorrectly, or that there is no such account with that number. I suggest that you contact Customer Service to find out what the response was from the bank. Once you know that, you may have a direction to pursue with Suntrust to find what needs to be changed in order to get them to accept the deposits.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.