Shipping Fees?

BlackDachshund
New Community Member

I did a search for shipping fees and it came up empty, and I know this is something that has been discussed, so please forgive if this is old.

I just sold something on ebay, for 220.00, charged 20.00 for shipping outside of US, (it went to canada).  When i see my transaction, Paypal added the total for the item, then added the 20.00 for a total of 240.00 and took fees out of that.....i don't want to ask a stupid stupid question, but why (and i read the T & C a long time ago), are shipping costs  charged a fee?  have I missed something? well, obviously i have.  i could have printed my postage label thru USPS which i usually do, but for some reason i just went ahead and clicked on print label, and there it was, almost 10.00 charged for the combo of 220 and 20. 

Can someone just remind me why this is...i havent sold here in a long long time, so am probably not up to date on a lot of new Ebay stuff, I usually get my stuff from the other online place with free shipping, and havent had anything to sell that i havent made in a long time. so an explanation would be very beneficial to me as to where and what i sell in the future.  especially since shipping has jumped so dramatically another fee is just not in my future...

thanks for your time

ps. of course i havent looked to see what if any of this was Ebay fees, so am maybe  little more confused than i at first thought.

margaret

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Transaction processing fees are based on the "total" amount.  This includes the item, taxes and shipping.  

Login to Me Too

brewhardware
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From Paypal's perspective, they are charging a fee for moving a certain amount of money from one accoun to another. They don't, and rightly so, care what the purpose of the money was.

On Ebay's side (the auction side), they do now charge fees on the total transaction. They excluded shipping cost for a really long time, and probably would have stuck with it, if it weren't for shady users actively reducing their own fees by inflating shipping charges to the winning bidder.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.