Questions about IRS and $20,000 in sales being automatically reported

phreak23
Contributor
Contributor

I currently use ebay/paypal as a hobby, not to get in details, but I buy/sell/trade and so far this year I have accumulated a total of about 16K in paypal sales activity, my report also shows that my purchase activity is about 15k. First question I have is, what is "sales activity" and "purchase activity" when I download my annual report. I know my sales is high, but my purchase activity is almost just as high as my sales activity and I am unsure why. I know for a fact I have not made almost 15K worth of purchases using my paypal account so far this year.

I am also wondering why Paypal automattically sends your info to the IRS at the 20K mark, I am not a business and I just use Paypal as a hobby, if I had to pay taxes on the 20K in sales I made this year it would be devestating consitering this is not profit! I am not running a business of any kind, just buying and selling things I collect. I am freaking out its only May and I've already sold 16K worth of goods and I do not need the IRS hounding me for money they don't deserve 🙂

Any help or advice would be great. I don't want Uncle Sam coming after me next tax season lol.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

brewhardware
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The IRS is concerned about getting their cut from income producing activities whether you're officially setup as a business or not. If 20k of income is reported and you legitimately did not profit from those activities, you would simply report the $20k in revenue on Schedule C of your 1040 and then under expenses, report the costs associated with receiving that 20k. You only pay taxes on profit (just like a real business). You can't make a profit and claim it was just for fun to avoid paying taxes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.