How do I restrict orders by location?

dkhulbert
Contributor
Contributor

I have only set up shipping to the US and Canada as it is just too expensive to ship my product overseas. Today an order was placed by a person in Australia - with no shipping charged. How do I restrict orders so that they can only be placed if shipping to certain areas/countries?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest using the Fraud Controls in your Account Profile.

Login to your Account.

Click on Profile

Click on My Selling Tools

Under Getting paid and managing my risk

Look for Managing risk and fraud

Click on Update

At the bottom, look for Risk Controls

Check the radio button for Country Monitor

Click on Edit

On the Choose your Countries page

Add the countries you don't want to sell to in the My Monitored Countries

Below check the radio button for Decline

Click on Save

Note, you can also control the dollar amount that you're willing to accept.

Very nice features for additional controls!

Login to Me Too

dkhulbert
Contributor
Contributor

I have only these options available under "Getting Paid and Managing Your Risk"

Getting paid and managing my risk

My automatic payments
Manage the subscriptions, automatic payments, and installment plans that I offer my customers.
Instant payment notifications
Integrate PayPal payment notifications with my website.
Update
Block payments
Limit payments, add instructions, and more.
Customer service message
Create a personalized message for customer disputes.

Update

None of these have a drop down list for  Country Monitor or a  radio button. I did agree to "risk management" terms of service but still cannot see where to go to make any adjustments. I am on a Standard business plan. Is it necessary to upgrade to Pro to use this feature?

Any help will be appreciated.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well that's a bummer.  Interesting.

I have a US Business Account which is verified and has both a bank account and credit card linked and confirmed.

Not sure what would be different or why?  No need to upgrade to Pro, as the basic filters include filters that screen against the country of origin, the value of transactions, and such. PayPal provides basic filters for business accounts and Website

Payments Pro accounts.

Do you have a US verified account?  If yes, then you may want to open a support ticket and ask why you don't see the Fraud Management Filters.  If no, that's probably why.

Login to Me Too

dkhulbert
Contributor
Contributor

I have US verified account with bank and credit card attached. I have set up shipping regions for USA and Canada, but cannot limit all other countries. The only place I find a list of countries in the international shipping method list. There doesn't seem to be a way to block them.

I do see how to limit payments from countries that do not use USD, but that doesn't solve my problem. I have to refund payments to people several times a week after they realize the shipping amount for international orders is far more expensive than my products.

If you can see any other way to limit shipping to two regions (USA - domestic) and Canada (international) I'd appreciate it! I am using PayPal Payments Standard.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As previously mentioned we use a combination of  Fraud Controls and Shipping Methods.  Have not had an issue with someone outside of the US trying to make a purchase.  Works well for our policies.

Login to Me Too

dkhulbert
Contributor
Contributor
I found out that the country monitor dropdown feature is a beta program that is only available to select users. Hopefully it will be included in the next round of upgrades. Thanks for your assistance.
Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.