Does paypal send out tax forms?

TheCrafterMC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i'm looking to start a business using paypal as my payment gateway but one problem comes up here: if I make over $400 (Since i'm self employing myself as a minor) will paypal send me a 1099 form in the mail or do I download a file then fill it in and email it to paypal? Help is always appreciated. 🙂

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There are two criteria you must meet:

* You must have made over $20,000 through a 3rd party processor such as PayPal and
* That $20K must have been made through 200 or more transactions

If you don’t meet either one of those criteria, then you won’t be getting the 1099-K form this year.

The 1099-K form shows your “gross sales”. 

“Gross sales” includes all of your selling transactions.

Refunds and fees are NOT taken out of that number.

Shipping revenue IS included. (If you're tracking your sales, that would make  the number seem a bit higher than you were expecting.)

You only pay taxes on profit (revenue minus expenses), not “gross sales”.  Your expenses may include such things as PayPal / eBay fees, returns, refunds, shipping costs, supplies, etc. All of those expenses that you incurred last year will reduce the taxes you may owe.  (Note: Both fees and returns are important for sellers to track in order to reduce taxes.)

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There are two criteria you must meet:

* You must have made over $20,000 through a 3rd party processor such as PayPal and
* That $20K must have been made through 200 or more transactions

If you don’t meet either one of those criteria, then you won’t be getting the 1099-K form this year.

The 1099-K form shows your “gross sales”. 

“Gross sales” includes all of your selling transactions.

Refunds and fees are NOT taken out of that number.

Shipping revenue IS included. (If you're tracking your sales, that would make  the number seem a bit higher than you were expecting.)

You only pay taxes on profit (revenue minus expenses), not “gross sales”.  Your expenses may include such things as PayPal / eBay fees, returns, refunds, shipping costs, supplies, etc. All of those expenses that you incurred last year will reduce the taxes you may owe.  (Note: Both fees and returns are important for sellers to track in order to reduce taxes.)

Login to Me Too

TheCrafterMC
Contributor
Contributor

So regular tax doesn't apply? If so thats good considering I can keep up with that. I don't think i'll be making any where near 20,000 and 200 transactions at the same time anytime soon.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Regular TAX does apply, you must still file a return, sure you can skate and may not be detected but, sooner or later, it will catch up with you.    The 1099 is just a different level.

Login to Me Too

TheCrafterMC
Contributor
Contributor

My problem with that is that i'm still considered a minor and my parents don'r trust me with a social security number..

Login to Me Too

mtnsmiles
New Community Member

when are the tax forms mailed out - for those of us who meet the criteria - and why can I not acess it on my site.   I went to the location paypal said they were and I have no pull down for statments. 

Login to Me Too

TheCrafterMC
Contributor
Contributor

How am I supposed to file my taxes without my social security number?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You will have to figure that out on your own.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.