Buyer from nigeria

Fungist

He was offshore and wanted to buy my phone for her sister.
He offered to pay shipping which i first said was included.

He could use paypal only because he was offshore.

Then i got this mail from: 

<removed>

Buyer
????
Note From Buyer
PLEASE, POST NOW
Shipping address - confirmed
<removed>

Postage details
REKOMMANDERT BREV
 SHIPMENT ONLY

Goods
 2. 450,00
 NOK
1   2. 450,00
 NOK

Postage and packing ----  
Insurance - not offered ----  
Total  2. 450,00
 NOK

This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"  but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail and our customer cares service will attend to you. As soon as you send  the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited into your account.

Tried to look through the mail and could not find ANY links to click. 
Not even links to paypal or paypal support etc.

Couldnt even find out if the email it was sendt from was fake. 
It shows clearly to come from service paypal.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Obviously a scam.  Fortunately, you did not click on any link and you didn't send any money.

The e-mail addres is obviously NOT a PayPal email address.

Login to Me Too

Fungist

There was not ANY links what so ever in the mail.
neither did gmail warn me before i opened the mail.

Not a single link, whats the point then? at least if there was a link i might have been fooled to click it.

anything i should worry about when there was no link?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Fungist

Why would you expect gmail to warn you about a PayPal scam?

As for a link, just respond to the email if you want to fall for the scam.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is the lastest scam going around,they showed you they have paid but payment is withheld until your posted you have shipped,by going to some site and paid shipping fee. 

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

It is a scam.  Do you really think PayPal would forget to put, or omit, links in their emails? 

This PayPal page might be particulary helpful ("How to Spot Fake Emails"):

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2340/3

(If that link doesn't work, open the Help section in your PayPal account and search the word "scams".)

One of the things the page says is:  "The email says the money is “on hold” until you complete an action (i.e., send money through Western Union or click a link to submit a tracking number). You can easily see if you received money by logging in to your PayPal account (do not click any links within the email).  If you’ve been paid, you’ll see the payment in your account."

These sites, too, have whole sections on fake emails -- and, specifically, on "Nigerian Scams", as I recall:

-----  Search for Scams here:  www.fbi.gov

-----  And, here (Internet Crimes):  https://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx

(If neither of those links work, search for "Internet crimes" and the like, on the Net.  Go to Government (.gov) sites for the most reliable info.)

Your PayPal account should, also, have info reguarding the "on hold" or "pending" transaction, as well.  Does it?  (Go directly to your account, NOT through any email link, etc., to check.)

Sad, but true -- it is a fake email.  😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.