Webhooks stopped working two days ago... and I don't understand why

Remitur
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.
We're using a WHMCS system, that worked fine accepting PayPal payments until 2 days ago.
Since 2 days, in PayPal event logs I can find every payment operation completed but with the status "pending"
In "attempt history" for every transaction, I find the date and time of attempt and a "FAIL_SOFT" error

In the message, I can find:

{
"webhook_url": "https://example.com/modules/gateways/callback/paypalwebhooks.php",
"transmission_id": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"status": "PENDING",
"timestamp": "2024-01-17T20:01:52Z"
}

What is "FAIL_SOFT"? What does it mean?
NOTE: no update were done in last weeks, and until two days ago everything worked fine...
Any idea about what to do, or how investigate deeper this issue?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Kavyar

Good day @Remitur 

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

When multiple retry attempts are made to send notifications, and these attempts are unsuccessful, they are logged as Fail_Soft.

When a webhook event is marked as "Pending," it means that the event has not been successfully sent.

I kindly request that you update the Webhook URL and try again.

There could be a few reasons why your webhooks are in the "Pending" status:

1. Webhooks are in a status of retrying: This occurs when no response is received from your listener. The system will continue to retry sending the webhook until a response is received.

2. If your listener is not responding: If your listener does not respond within a certain timeframe, the pending webhooks will eventually be marked as  "Failed."

If you are still experiencing issues, please create an MTS ticket via the following URL -  https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US . Please ensure that you provide detailed information and error details when submitting the ticket.

Sincerely,

Kavya

PayPal MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.