PayPal Email Causes Problems

LeftAngle
Contributor
Contributor
In April of 2017 I ordered a book of my family’s history on Walmart.com. The book was out of print so Walmart gave me the option to keep my order valid so if and when the book became available, it would be sent. The other day, PayPal sent me an email stating I just paid WalMart $18.47. The transaction stamp on the payment was 3:04 AM March 3 2019. No other information was included. Not knowing what the charge was for, I contacted WalMart and was told that I hadn’t purchased anything from WalMart for at least 6 months and it looked like someone had stolen my PayPal card number. I immediately contacted PayPal, told them about the charge, cancelled my card and re-orderEd a new one. Problem solved (with the exception of me having to contact the dozen or so businessss that take automatic payments and giving them new card numbers). Yesterday, March 4th I received an email from WalMart stating I needed to update my payment method before my book, ordered a year earlier could be sent. It turns out, the book was still unavailable, but evidently PayPal sent the payment just to see if it was still a valid order. Sending me an email at the same time stating I had just paid WalMart $18.41. No mention of it being a “test” for an order I placed a year ago. By not informing me of the reason for the payment, PayPal made a false condition that created a stolen card scenario that will snowball into incidents of companies unable to get automatic funds from my account. When I contacted PayPal and before cancelling my card, I should have been informed (1) what the payment was for and (2) why it was being made. If that information had been included in the email in the first place, none of this would have happened. If anyone here has the ability to inform the proper persons at PayPal to correct their overly simplistic email notification so pertainent data are included as to what the “payment” is for or why the payment is being made, maybe incidents like this can be avoided.
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.