Shipping Address Problems for Americans Overseas

Moose99709
Contributor
Contributor

Though this is a buyer question...  There is no buyer topic about shipping problems.  So I'm posting here.

I'm an American living overseas in Muscat, Oman.  I depend heavily on eBay and mail order for things I need that I simply can't find in Oman.  As I work for an American company, by US law, I must be paid in an American bank.  Therefore, all of my bank accounts and credit cards are American.

Problem: American Paypal accounts are unable to ship to non-US addresses.  If you want to buy something from a mail order site outside of eBay, Paypal grays out my Oman shipping address and will not allow me to select this address.

Most of the time on eBay, this is not a problem as eBay forces it's shipping address on your order, but if your eBay auction seller uses a non-eBay checkout system, Paypal overrides any address you choose with it's selection of shipping addresses, which can not include an address outside the USA since you are paying through an American bank or credit card company.  

This ends up creating a HUGE amount of confusion and quite often when this happens my products either get sent to my US address or the seller freaks out about the unconfirmed - out of country address change he's getting an email about.  

This also makes Paypal virtually impossible for non-eBay websites.  

It also makes Paypal impossible to use for someone living in the US who wants to send a gift to a relative overseas.

Is there any way Paypal can fix this problem.  It makes purchasing for Americans shipping overseas impossible.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

clearcalculatio
Contributor
Contributor

Option 1

Open a bank account in the country you live in if allowable.

Option 2

Open an ebay account in the country you live in if allowable.

Option 3

Contact somone to be a middle man, recieving your package and then mailing it to you.

Option 4

Open an account with an international bank and set up payments that way.

Login to Me Too

Moose99709
Contributor
Contributor

Thats just silly and completely unnacceptable. Why can't PayPal allow American bank account holders to use non-US shipping addresses???  Not just for my situation, but I'm sure there are thousands of people who shop online for gifts for relatives in foreign countries. 

Why do I have to do summersalts and work-arounds to send overseas when this problem is PayPal's?  It SHOULD be fixed on PayPal's end.  If vendors allow direct purchasing by credit card to foreign address with US billing addresses - including ebay.  There is no reason that PayPal can not not fix this problem with their web site. 

And my situation does not allow any of your options anyway.

What ultimately happens is that PayPal will lose more and more business from expat customers and first and second generation Americans.  How many people is that?   What is the profit loss for PayPal for not fixing a simple bug with it's web site that is causing the loss of these customers???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.