why am I charged for receiving money ?

g3ugf
New Community Member

I've just  been charged £31.04  for receiving money  from a  friend  that I have helped out , at my expense, which now leaves me out of pocket   Why is it necessary to  charge me so much money , when  PayPal has  had  a large amount  of my money  to use in the marketplace ? 

This experience has left a bad taste and makes me cautious about  using  PayPal services in future.  I've always been very happy with PayPal but  this  leaves me feeling  let down and disappointed .  g3ugf 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If  you were charged a fee then your friend sent it incorrectly.

If they had selected personal payment / gift option > and funded it via instant bank transfer or funds in their paypal balance then you would not have been charged.

If they funded it via card then there would have been a small charge which they could have selected to pay.

However if they sent it via send money > goods or services then paypal would have seen it as a transaction and you as the seller and you would have been charged for that.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.