Fees on inward payments from eBay

mysore1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am a first time eBay/paypal user.

A buyer has sent me an amount of 35.15 but I see a fee of 1.40 has been deducted. What is this fee? As an ebay seller, presumably I want to receive my amount net of fees? How much fee is imposed on payments received under £10 and £5 respectively?

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mysore1

Ebay and paypal are 2 separate companies.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your item.

You pay Paypal to be able to receive instant payments from buyers including from credit cards.

On Ebay you get your fees invoiced monthly and you pay x1 per month.

On Paypal you have your fee deducted from the buyers payment before the remainder is credited to your paypal balance.

You pay a fee of 3.4% + 20p per transaction on paypal but the fees are shown on both sites under ''Fees'' bottom of both companies pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mysore1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the comments.

As far as I can see, to receive a credit card payment for an eBay transaction on paypal, you have to upgrade to a business account: is that right?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mysore1

@mysore1 wrote:

Thank you for the comments.

As far as I can see, to receive a credit card payment for an eBay transaction on paypal, you have to upgrade to a business account: is that right?

No, not any longer. As paypal have phased out premier accounts you can now sell on a personal account and receive all types of paypal payments.

You only need a business account if you are a registered business / company buying in stock to re-sell.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mysore1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much. The Paypal website seems to make upgrading to a business account mandatory

Login to Me Too

TSM
Contributor
Contributor
Sold something for £6.50 got charged 42p.. Think thats harsh and have yet to pay ebay their cut.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TSM

FEES are clearly listed at the bottom of both Ebay and Paypals pages.

So you should work out how much you have to pay in Fees before you decide whether to list your item.

You pay Ebay to advertise and sell your item and you pay Paypal to receive instant payments from buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TSM
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, i already read that. Its still a lot. Prefer to wait four days lmao
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TSM

Well if its a lot then list  ''cash on collection'' or sell elsewhere, no one forces you to use Ebay or Paypal.

Personally I would rather get more then my item minus paypal fees than sell elsewhere for a lesser amount, this is because you get more bids using paypal as buyers like buyer protection.

But your choice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.