How can I issue partial refunds under program control?

SteveDouglas
New Community Member

I'm trying to work out the best way to integrate subscriptions into a website using Webpayments Standard.

The main issue is that we need to give members credit when they Refer-A-Friend so their subscription amounts will not be the same every year.

Since I can't vary a subscription directly I can generate a button that allows them to accept new terms, however that only allows me to specify a new recurring amount going forward perpetually (using the a3 variables) anything I put in a1  or a2 to create a new one-off period is ignored for a change of subscription, so I can't seem to create a new 'trial period' for one year with the discounted rate that reverts to the full rate afterwards.  That only seems to work for a new subscription, not a modify.

This idea therefore suffers form two problems:

1) The member has to actively accept a change of subscription to claim their discount (which is a pain)

2) It changes it perpetually not just for the next year, so they'd then have to accept the uplifted one next year

This defeats the object of having a subscription in this case.

The only other option I can see is to issue a partial refund after their next subscription to credit them back the Refer-A-Friend discount they've earned for that year, but I'd need a way to do that under program control - I'm not going back manually to hundreds of members via the PayPal control panel to issue refunds.

Anyone know a better way to do it?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.