Asking customer for telephone number at checkout

denlev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

How do I request a telephone number at PayPal payment stage from a customer. I send a fair bit abroad and most couriers now require a contact no. Thanks

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

you could put it in the additional payment info on your auctions during the listing process if you are selling on ebay.

Also on ebay you can get the buyers contact info via advanced search top of ebay page > contact member.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

denlev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for that, it's mainly selling from my web site, It needs to be asked at point of payment otherwise no-one bothers and I then have to e mail for a phone number and wait for their reply before I can send the goods. The setup of paypal on my web software has a box for additional questions but it won't highlight/activate. I am awaiting an answer from them but it's slow process. Cheers

Login to Me Too

Brian1295
Contributor
Contributor

Yes getting it at the website stage before the customer goes to Paypal is the easiest solution.

Login to Me Too

denlev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Brian

Thanks for your help. I have tried that but no one as yet has added a phone number. Plus I have thousands of items for sale and where is the best place to put it. If it was a part of the payment process then I feel sure it would happen. When visitors fill in an enquiry form on the web site they always add their phone number as asked for. 

Cheers Dennis

Login to Me Too

Brian1295
Contributor
Contributor

You enable thsi option in PROFILE- SELLING PREFERENCES-  website payment preferences

as you can see it is switched off by default.

I hope this helps,

Regards

Brian

Login to Me Too

Size_and_Space
New Community Member

Thanks for this. I need to have a telephone number for US sales because Customs requires it. I was going nuts trying to figure it out, then I found this query and your reply!

Login to Me Too

fish97365

I found the answer here:

/t5/My-account-settings-Archive/How-do-I-require-a-phone-number-from-my-customers/td-p/356200

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.