Is this email from PayPal fake?

HarryChapman96
New Community Member

So I've been messaging a man on Ebay and we agreed to sell my phone to him in South Africa and he'd transfer me the funds then I'd send the device...

I just got the 'funding confirmation' email from 'PayPal' from an email address that this feed won't let me post..

The email read as follows...

You've Got Cash!

Hello  Harry Chapman,

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of £265.00 GBP  from Mike Dean

Receipt ID:

The number above is the buyer's receipt ID for this transaction. Please retain it for your records so that you will be able to reference this transaction for customer service.

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name:

BlackBerry Z30 - 16GB - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone

Item Number:

Quantity:

Total:

£265.00 GBP

Cart Subtotal:

£265.00 GBP

Sales Tax:

Cart Total:

£265.00 GBP

Payment Details

Total amount:

£265.00 GBP

Currency:

U.K. Pounds

Transaction ID:

7WL4537981258261H

Insurance:

Buyer:

Mike Dean

Buyer's User ID:

deamik_6qvzbwj

Shipping Information  

Address

Mustapha A.O.O
9, Moller Street,The
Orchards
Pretoria, 0118
South Africa

Address status

Confirmed 

Important Note: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment bar code is sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

* *PLEASE NOTE**
Once item has been shipped out and you send the tracking/postage number to us, 
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL"  from PayPal® Team that your Fund has been credited. 

Sincerely,
PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2015 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (INT) Ltd. is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority Worldwide as an electronic money institution.

PayPal Email ID PP345

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Leicai01
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry I have just seen these messages now!! I posted with Parcelforce. Can you track your parcels? If you can track and find out what posting office they are to arrive at or try googling royal Mails partner over there. I hope you managed to get sorted xx
Login to Me Too

pajero93
New Community Member

Hi guys, had a very similar experience.

Posted an ad for an Apple Watch on gumtree, got a quick response asking for best price with shipment to South Africa. Agreed on £230 and he sent address over and promised payment. Got a very legit email from service-at-paypal.co.uk confirming I'd been paid but when googling the address I found this thread, checked my actual paypal account and saw no pending money transfer!

Very clever how they can get the email to send from / appear to send from service-at-paypal.co.uk but glad I saw this first!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pajero93

Glad you were not caught out  Smiley Happy

But always remember  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bond0007
New Community Member
Hi all i just had one regarding two watches i am selling. I have been had before. This ia a definite no go.... a proper scam. The last scam i had was for a car i lost £2500..... It is all got to be the same group if people... i will not fall for this again.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.