Wrong item, International Seller, Pay return shipping, not protected by PayPal if it cost me money

Punagirl808
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased 2 mobility scooters from an international company. When the first one arrived (second one never came) it was a child’s balance scooter not the adult, full size mobility scooter I ordered. When I contacted the company they told me I am responsible for return shipping and that it could cost $30-50 so I should gift it to someone if I do not want it. I filed a dispute with PayPal who says I must pay for return shipping and once the company confirms that they received the item I will get my money back. How is it fair that I paid for an item, received the wrong one, and have to pay half the original item price to return it to get money back? I will still be out the very high cost of return shipping. And how do I know the company will say they received it? I can provide a tracking number but it won’t refund until company states item was received. This IS NOT protection by PayPal. This is an international scam. I have the original packaging from shipping that proves the item weight is WAY WAY WAY less than what the weight of the correct item would be. Again, there is ZERO PayPal protection here. Is there anything I can do or anyone I can call to find resolution to this? If not and I end up eating the cost of these purchases I will close all PayPal accounts and spread this story all over social media and every public forum I can find.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Punagirl808 

However it is the protection paypal states in their buyer protection policy for you to read and then risk assess your transactions.

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.