REFUND = DEBIT

CynicalRaven

I ordered a laptop from an outlet and was shipped the wrong one so I requested a refund or so I thought.

Turns out that paypal f'd up and actually debited me the refund instead of refunding it so now Im just waiting for their call department to open up so I can complain and get my money back.

Anyone else have this issue? Im am extremely annoyed and can't believe they made this mistake.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

That can't happen, refunds are automatic.

Are you sure that this is not what happened >>

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credits the seller for you and then waits for your money to transfer from your funding source ie bank account.

So when it is refunded you may notice the payment leaving your bank account anyway but when it hits paypal as its been refunded its credited to your balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CynicalRaven

Yup Im sure to the point where the bank confirmed it. I have two seperate payments out for the same item one on the day of purchase and the other today. I have no idea how this can happen but it did. Apprently paypal made the transaction a debit but in the notes they put refund.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you use a debit card or bank account?

Only refunds if you used a bank account go back to your paypal account balance and not to your bank account.

Sounds very odd.

Think your best bet is to phone paypal >>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option (if there is one in the country you are in) > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CynicalRaven

Yeah it was a refund to my debit card. Can't call them as their lines are closed till 8 tomorrow so I thought I will check here if anyone has any idea. Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

they were open until 10pm why did you not call them earlier?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CynicalRaven

Their line might be open but whenever I tried an agent option it said to call back between 8am and 8.30pm. I used the word transaction problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.