Pending refund/cancellation for the past week.

kas4
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I bought something on ebay and the seller cancelled the order as soon as I paid.  I logged in to paypal and cancelled the payment as it was unclaimed. As soon as I did so, I can see the cancelled payment (in strikethrough font) and the amount appeared in as 'refund pending' on my account. I paid using my bank balance and the money has been taken from account even though I cancelled the transaction about 4 hours after creating it. Now it has been over a week and it still shows as pending refund  - is this normal?I I'm starting to get worried now! Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kas4

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source. This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment (as it was unclaimed and the seller couldn't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.