PayPal Refunds - Pending should never be pending

jeebobjames
Contributor
Contributor

So, like many others, I am suffering the whole "10 day refund" problem that so many of us have reported. I think its high time PayPal stood up for the buyer.

I know how it works, I pay a seller, paypal fronts the money and reclaims from me shortly thereafter. When it comes to a refund, seller sets off an echeque, which takes 4-5 working days to clear with PayPal, and then PayPal go thereon.

Like many customers previously before me, I have now lost money, and will be out of pocket for longer than I could do with!

I think its high time PayPal re-evaluated their process. You guys need to start refunding customers the same way you pay your sellers. Front the money immediately, then claim the echeque back, or, buyers need to be compensated.

Why should I be without my money or product for nigh on two weeks, because a seller sold a product under false pretences, "I had it, I just cant find it" (yet they took a picture of it a day ago, apparently). "Oh there must have been a listing error", "sorry it looks like our partner made a mistake and ordered the case only through amazon". Three of my recent losses. Now I  have a 2-3 week wait, to collect all of that money up, before I can consider rebuying from a reputable seller....

PayPal, this is 2017. Cheques are phased out, you have our bank details, you have direct debit agreements to take the money immediately. You should front Sellers AND Buyers! not just one, you favour the seller, you make buyers lives more complicated and stressful, because you use outdated technologies. If you fronted the refund, I could have had the money in my account within two hours, or, I could have bought another product and had it delivered and used, before the first payment (will eventually) clear.

I petition PayPal to remove the e-cheque functionality, and to ensure all payments are made by direct debit, and also front the Buyer for refunds as well as the sellers for their purchases made...

I get the feeling the nearby airport is more likely to have a squadron of pigs landing....

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jeebobjames

Well if paypal are nice enough to front the payment to the seller and then paypal take the wait for your payment to transfer from your funding source why should they have to do it again for your refund.

Maybe they would prefer to make YOU wait for your funds to clear through from your bank account > paypal BEFORE they pay the seller.

I think you should be grateful that they front it for you rather than moaning they don't do the same for refunds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jeebobjames
Contributor
Contributor
Personally I couldn't care less about them fronting my payments. I don't go into a shop and ask for credit, I don't expect it of PayPal. I don't have an option to wait for the direct debit payment to clear first, I would happily take that option, in fact I would prefer it I just don't like that sellers are favoured so unfavourably over the honest and duped buyers who purchase in good faith to be **bleep** over by unscrupulous sellers, and then insult to Injury waiting ten days for payments to clear. Even if I get a refund to a card in a shop, 3 days tends to be the most I have to wait, not even that long most the time, so why should PayPal use such outdated methodologies. If a direct debit payment is rejected by the bank, then PayPal will put my balance in negative, and them take the payment later from my account when I make a purchase, so why can't this be done to sellers refunding their disappointed customers? If eBay allowed other payment methods than PayPal I would gladly use them. But it's either make an immediate payment via card on PayPal, or, make a bank transfer on PayPal or, make an echeque on PayPal. I just want to know why PayPal use outdated technologies and offer their customers no choice in how they operate... I mean, we get the choice of paying after delivery so we can get even more credit if we wanted it, but good luck trying to get a refund.
Login to Me Too

jeebobjames
Contributor
Contributor
Personally I couldn't care less about them fronting my payments. I don't go into a shop and ask for credit, I don't expect it of PayPal. I don't have an option to wait for the direct debit payment to clear first, I would happily take that option, in fact I would prefer it As to why... The answer is simple... Because as an honest buyer, who has been conned of his money, why should I have to wait. PayPal is the conduit for the payment, and is as responsible as any other credit authority for payments and also have a responsibility as other credit authorities to protect their buyers. I can initiate a charge back at my bank quickly and get my money back, or, I can go to ebay, open a dispute, wait 8 days for ebay to intervene if the seller is as awful as a good few are. Then I have to wait ten days or so for PayPal to send an echeque and allow it to clear, with another 4 or 5 days for it to clear from PayPal into my bank account.... I just don't like that sellers are favoured so unfavourably over the honest and duped buyers who purchase in good faith to be **bleep** over by unscrupulous sellers, and then insult to Injury waiting ten days for payments to clear. Even if I get a refund to a card in a shop, 3 days tends to be the most I have to wait, not even that long most the time, so why should PayPal use such outdated methodologies. If a direct debit payment is rejected by the bank, then PayPal will put my balance in negative, and them take the payment later from my account when I make a purchase, so why can't this be done to sellers refunding their disappointed customers? If eBay allowed other payment methods than PayPal I would gladly use them. But it's either make an immediate payment via card on PayPal, or, make a bank transfer on PayPal or, make an echeque on PayPal. I just want to know why PayPal use outdated technologies and offer their customers no choice in how they operate... I mean, we get the choice of paying after delivery so we can get even more credit if we wanted it, but good luck trying to get a refund.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.