I received a misdescribed item from overseas and the seller is insisting I pay return postage.

Wizard-in-Black
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I ordered a vinyl record from another country a couple of weeks ago and when it arrived I found that it was significantlly overgraded and in nowhere near as good a condition as advertised.  I initially asked for a small partial refund due to the lessened value however the seller was unwilling to do this but they did offer a full refund if I sent it back.  While that's all fine, he inisisted that I pay return postage dispite it being his error on the overgrading.  He apparantly got in touch directly with Paypal to ask for advice and they said I would indeed have to pay return postage but I'm skeptical given that it is his fault.  Could anyone please tell if I do indeed have to pay return postage? 

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wizard-in-Black

If you won a dispute for item received but not as described then yes normally paypal would expect you to send the item back trackable....to prove you returned it..... before the seller had to refund .

Paypal can ONLY EVER get you back the payment that you processed through them and that is the orginal price of the item plus the shipping costs to get it delivered to you, they can't get you return costs.

So if you choose to buy from a UK business seller then if the item was misdescribed they would have to refund your return postage costs or if they refused you could file a small claims court action against them and recover the costs that way.

BUT if you choose to buy from a private seller OR an international seller then you can't force them to refund your return costs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wizard-in-Black

If you won a dispute for item received but not as described then yes normally paypal would expect you to send the item back trackable....to prove you returned it..... before the seller had to refund .

Paypal can ONLY EVER get you back the payment that you processed through them and that is the orginal price of the item plus the shipping costs to get it delivered to you, they can't get you return costs.

So if you choose to buy from a UK business seller then if the item was misdescribed they would have to refund your return postage costs or if they refused you could file a small claims court action against them and recover the costs that way.

BUT if you choose to buy from a private seller OR an international seller then you can't force them to refund your return costs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Wizard-in-Black
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thank you for explaining all that.  Very helpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.