Can paypal "gifts" be refunded?

TloJim
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering this guy im a selling an item to a virtual item says he wants to pay through paypal gift. Is paypal gift a scam or a revisible way of getting money back. I want to be sure I dont get scammed. If you can please answer i would be grateful.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member why would you use that option?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TloJim
Contributor
Contributor

So whats the best way to sell it without a getting a chargeback

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There isn't a way, its a risk you take if you sell virtual items and accept paypal.

Maybe use another payment option?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TloJim
Contributor
Contributor

I just sent him a invoice. But invoices cant be chargedback right?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

A chargeback is done via a buyers or senders credit card and you never know how a buyers funded their payment.

A card can be used whether a buyer has used send money > goods / invoices / money requests or / friends / family route.  

Paypal has no say in credit card chargebacks as the card company make the decision.

So in theory however your buyer pays you risk a chargeback if they funded it via their credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.