Can't apply for the PayPal Cash debit card: "Can't update your account"

rwata
Contributor
Contributor

I got the following message trying to make a PayPal Cash debit card...

We can't update your account

We're unable to make the requested updates to your account. You're still able to use your PayPal account to shop, send money, and get paid.

I tried going to the Resolution Center, but there's no information about an account limitation there. I also use this account to sell on eBay, so it should be verified. I don't have a bank account linked to PayPal, is that a requirement to get a cash card? Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
52 REPLIES 52

Nymph_jas
Contributor
Contributor
How can you transfer your balance from pay pal to cash app? I’ve been trying to find out
Login to Me Too

Gator86
Contributor
Contributor

I actually couldn't figure it out either, and I don't think there is way to do it since paypal and cashapp are competitors and kind of hate each other.  What I ended up doing was just making a Capital One 360 account online which was pretty easy and linking that to paypal and transferring to the Capital One account.  You could try Chime as well.

Login to Me Too

JoePir86
Contributor
Contributor
Me too, started a new job and that's how they said I get paid. If I can't get the card how can I spend money for gas. No bank accounts to link. This was it.
Login to Me Too

Rodolfoalva
Contributor
Contributor
We’re you able to get this to work? If so how? It’s very annoying
Login to Me Too

jussliyahh
Contributor
Contributor
I have a PayPal account already and I applied for a PayPal cash card and got it and I had been using it to make online purchases, so I decided to create a new PayPal account and get a new cash card but it keeps giving me the same error “ we can’t update your account “ , “ we couldn’t verify its you “ and all the other errors Like is the their a limitation on how many PayPal accounts 1 person can have ? Let Me Know
Login to Me Too

jussliyahh
Contributor
Contributor
so I decided to create a new PayPal account and get a new cash card but it keeps giving me the same error “ we can’t update your account “ , “ we couldn’t verify its you “ and all the other errors Like is the their a limitation on how many PayPal accounts 1 person can have ? Let Me Know
Login to Me Too

CUBANOHEEL
New Community Member

This is maddening.

I cant figure out how to get a cash card either.

And now I cant figure out how to message Paypal either.  It seems something has changed.

Login to Me Too

dk234
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. I just got a Paypal Cash Card just now, it will be delivered in 7 - 10 days. I used a very very old Paypal PERSONAL account and it wouldn't let me (at first). Then, I found an article that said they have changed how it works, and you have to have a BALANCE 'account'. The balance needs to be sent from another Paypal account or from somewhere else. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/faq3997

"To use balance features, consumers with a personal PayPal account need to set up a balance account, which will have the same login and password as their personal PayPal account. You can get a balance account in several ways. For example, if someone sends you money and you don’t yet have a balance account, you’ll see an Accept the Money button. Once you click on it, you’ll see two options: Transfer it to your bank and Keep it in PayPal. Click Keep it in PayPal and follow the steps to get set up with PayPal Cash. This includes viewing the disclosures, user agreement and confirming your identity with us." 

I just sent myself $1.00 to my Personal Account from my Business Account and it was automatically accepted in my Personal Account, none of the Keep it in Paypal options or anything like that. Then lower down on the page there was an option to Get A Cash Card, which I clicked and Applied and it was accepted right away. I just want to say I find it very bizarre how this works, logging into a Personal Account and a Balance Account with the SAME login information? >.>  Lost me there. But it still worked the way I did it. Good luck.

Links for Help if needed.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-request-or-apply-for-the-paypal-cash-card-faq38...  info, but not what I'm talking about, shows other requirements I must have met already.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/cash-card to Apply,

then again here to get Direct Deposit information https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/money-management/direct-deposit  

Direct Deposit is subject to the payor's support of this feature.

Ebay does not accept this... main reason I even did it and Ebay won't accept it even using Wells Fargo as the bank or not, and manually entering information. 

As for direct deposit for a government loan (which I know this post is old), but you could always still try it and see if it works. No harm in trying, right?

Login to Me Too

Nplewis02
Contributor
Contributor
SAME. No reason for it. Come on paypal what's the deal??!!
Login to Me Too

Temp20230526DF
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, I'm going to contact support for us and get an answer. I'm also having this same problem with my Merchant account.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.