I sent money to a friend but an email typo sent it to a stranger.

janittdott
New Community Member

I sent money to a friend but an email typo sent it to a stranger. I saw the error instantly but there was NO cancel button or any other way to stop the payment to someone I do NOT know am NOT friends with and have NO business with. I tried numerous ways to report the problem to paypal but all they did was determine was that it WAS an authorized (not invalid) payment and being sent to a friend I have no recourse other than to ASK the recipient to send it back. I tried to contact the stranger at the address but received no reply and the payment has not been claimed as far as I know I'm sure this happens fairly often and I can't believe there is NOTHING I can do about it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@janittdott 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent.
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.

If its showing as Payment OR Sent then it has successfully completed to a paypal account that is linked to the mistaken email address you sent it to. In other words someone owns that wrong email address.

If that is so then nothing you can do about it as you sent a 'gift' of money to someone and paypal cannot force them to return it to you.

HOWEVER if its NOT showing as sent and is showing as UNCLAIMED withOUT a cancel option then as long as it stays that way and is not claimed then it will time out and be returned to you in 30 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.