"The money will be refunded to the original funding source."

Ryanstolls47
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Just a quick question for clarity. I had an Xbox Live account last year, brought a years subscription and then sold my Xbox and cancelled my subscription. However, I was charged for it (through Paypal, linked to my debit card) and reported it as unauthorized on here.

I got this message;

Thank you for reporting this case. After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorised and hence isn't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. 

And then saying underneath;

The money will be refunded to the original funding source.

- I find the terminology here quite confusing, and a quick search hasn't rendered any real explanation. The message suggests they've rejected my claim, but the refund to original funding source suggests they have accepted it?

Does this mean I'll be due a refund or they've rejected my claim? Trying to figure it out so I know how best to move forward.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ryanstolls47

Money refunded to the original source means back to the seller.

An unauthorised transaction means that you are telling Paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find you did make the transaction then it would be closed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Johnbax
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same reply in these same words in two different cases, but in one the claim was accepted and the money came back to me, and in the other it didn't and presumably went to the seller.  This is indeed very confusing. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.