Why has some of my payment been withheld by Pitney Bowes Ltd?

Jimpowers
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, would be grateful for some feedback on this question!

I recently sold a painting to someone in France from the UK. I stated on the listing that the postage was free, but the buyer suggested a lower price agreeing instead to pay the extra cost it would take to post to him. The suggested postage amount according to ebay was half what it should be (think it was basing it on domestic rates). Anyway, the buyer agreed to pay the extra. However, i've not received it. He took a screen grab from his account to prove he had indeed paid and it showed three separate payments: the sale price, the ebay suggested postage, and finally the extra amount to bring it up to what I had to pay at the post office. This last amount has never arrived in my paypal account, the one marked on his account screen as being paid to 'Pitney and Bowes Ltd.

Just wondering why the payment was sent there instead of me? 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

when you list an item for sale on Ebay,you decide how much to charge for shipping-domestic and overseas,some would vary by carrier and country.

Ebay never tell you how much to charge.

Ebay has a program ,joint effort with PitneyBowles called GSP global shipping program where seller ships to a place in Kentucky with tracking ,the it wil take it from there and ship overseas.

seller libility for item damaged or not received ended at Kentucky.

But seller has to sign up for GSP and not all items are eligible and not all countries on the list.

the way it works is that buyer pays you for the item and domestic shipping.

GSP then sent a separate invoice for overseas shiping covering custom duty and overseas postage,you do not receive the payment,GSP does.

if you have not signed up for GSP,then you are responsible to ship all the way to his country.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

if you have signed up for GSP,then your ship to address would be Erlanger,Kentucky.

Login to Me Too

Jimpowers
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply! I have since resolved the issue, which, as you say, concerns global shipping. There was an error when i tried to obtain the address details, which meant that i didn't send the parcel via Global Shipping, but they charged me for it anyway. My customer was given a refund which he then sent on to me. I'll be more careful in future! Thank you again!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.