Sent money friend and family to an incorrect email.

Lukemarples
Contributor
Contributor
I went to send some money to a persons email through friends and family and accidentally missed 1 number off of the email. The payment states it is pending but how can I cancel this so I can send the money to the correct email. I have contacted my bank but they state there is nothing they can so to help on the matter and it's to be done with paypal. I'm kind of lost on this because I cant seem to contact paypal any means due to everyone offline due to the covid breakout. Help is greatly appreciated as it's a large sum of money
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lukemarples 

If its pending / unclaimed WITH a cancel option then cancel it because that means its been sent to a non-existent email address and will never complete.

If its pending / unclaimed withOUT a cancel option then it means its gone to an existing email account but not linked to a paypal account.

So if its the latter and the person it was sent to 'claims' it by opening a paypal account and linking that email address to it then sadly as it was a f/f payment there is nothing you can do about it as you sent them a gift of money.

However if they do NOT claim it and set up a paypal account then it will time out and be returned to you 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lukemarples 

If its pending / unclaimed WITH a cancel option then cancel it because that means its been sent to a non-existent email address and will never complete.

If its pending / unclaimed withOUT a cancel option then it means its gone to an existing email account but not linked to a paypal account.

So if its the latter and the person it was sent to 'claims' it by opening a paypal account and linking that email address to it then sadly as it was a f/f payment there is nothing you can do about it as you sent them a gift of money.

However if they do NOT claim it and set up a paypal account then it will time out and be returned to you 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

abernardo
New Community Member
Hi! In my case I sent to an incorrect email and I immediately clicked the cancel button. In my activity log the transfer was cancelled and a equal value with minus sign appeared to zero the transaction. After that I sent again the same amount to the correct address. Now, in my bank account there's 2 debit ! I have paid twice the same amount in the same day. I have complained , but support is very limited now... Do you think I will get a refund in 30 days for the first transaction?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@abernardo 

When you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will as the transaction was cancelled return them to your funding source (if you paid from your bank account or with a card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from that balance), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.