Adaptive Payments no longer an options?

csllc
Contributor
Contributor

So, last year sometime I submitted my application for Adaptive Payments, and was on hold for PayPal to inspect our website due to changes in our system API.  We specifically needed the ability for users to be able to exchange money between each other for goods/services on our website while we held a position as the middle-man in the event there were problems between the two users, such as one didn't receive what they ordered, etc.

We were told Adaptive Payments was the way to go so that User B could pay User A via PayPal through our site and we'll record the transaction an be able to manage it in the event a refund was required, etc.  Now we're being told Adaptive Payments isn't an option, and our application seems to have just vanished.

I've contacted PayPal and they tell us to use the PayPal for Marketplace, Connected Path API, but this option doesn't really work very well as it requires any person in which money will be sent to to also be a PayPal business account, plus PayPal is telling us it must be a brand new PayPal account.  This just doesn't make any sense to me.

So, I ask here... is there a way that we can allow random users to sell products on our website, and allow other users to purchase those items and still allow us to be the middle-man for the purchase and be able to issue refunds on behalf of the buyer, in the event the buyer never received their items they purchased from the seller, without forcing all sellers to sign up for new business accounts with PayPal?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Jennifer

PayPal For Marketplaces is the replacement for Adaptive Payments. There are two options available for PayPal For Marketplaces:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/marketplaces/pp4mp/

Our PayPal for Marketplaces solution has two integration paths to choose from based on how you run your business:

• Connected path. A marketplace model in which each individual PayPal merchant assumes financial liability, rather than you, the partner. All merchants must have PayPal Business accounts.

• Managed path. A marketplace model in which the partner assumes financial liability. Merchants aren't required to have PayPal Business accounts.

You are correct the Connected Path does require Business Accounts because each individual merchant assumes the financial liability.

If you chose the Managed Path then the members of your website will not be required to have a PayPal Business Account, but the partner account(Your Account if you are the Partner) must be a Business Account and would assume all financial liability (Refunds, Disputes, fees).

Thank you,

Jennifer

Login to Me Too

csllc
Contributor
Contributor

That post wasn't helpful in any way shape or form.  You didn't answer any of my questions and only confirmed what I said.

Login to Me Too

GeoGg
New Community Member
I realise this is some 2 years on but, did you ever find a solution to this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.