Webstore checkout defaults to adding a credit card, cannot choose payment options

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Like the title says, as of today April 11 2020 I tried to buy some computer gear from a Dutch website and pay with my PayPal account using the delayed payment option as I always do (21 days delayed pay, PayPal achteraf in Dutch). But to my surprise when I was routed to the PayPal website it routed me to the add credit card page, the URL looks something like this, may vary for other countries:

&country.x=NL&locale.x=nl_NL#/checkout/pageAddCard/addCardFlow/addCard?message=NEED_CREDIT_CARD

I never had this issue since I started using PayPal with the option to connect to a debit card or bank card when this available. The website that I tried to buy from has always accepted payment via bank and the 21 day delayed payment option but as of today it defaults to the add credit card.

I read somewhere that this may happen if PayPal updates their payment system and vendors don't follow suit, but I tried paying today at several websites within The Netherlands and outside and all default to the add credit card page.

Is this a bug or what? (phoned two stores in The Netherlands and they were not aware of this problem.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Last update:

As of the second week of may everything is back to "normal" no more add CC at checkouts, 21 day delayed payment option is back at the sites where I could opt for it and all my subscriptions are restored and back to normal.

On my personal inquiries to PayPal I have not received any answer or solution but all is good now so I'm good.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Extra:

All my running subscriptions I have that I pay for with PayPal are now being cancelled because PayPal refuses to pay though my bank account and defaults all subscriptions to be paid for by credit card.

Phoned a friend who also uses PP and has both bank and credit card linked to his account and when he tried to buy from the same webstore he was able to pay using bank account, so it looks like this problem is for users who only have a bank account linked.

Login to Me Too

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Ok things are getting weirder now. Found two stores that allow me to use my bank account to pay for items. First I thought it might the the level of the price but this seems not to be the case. So it may come down to the websites using the wrong routing to PayPal. Still seems odd that two sites I frequently buy from now all of a sudden require a Credit Card, this may be because of the whole COVID19 thing because the last purchase was before the COVID19 lockdown started.

Login to Me Too
Solved

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Last update:

As of the second week of may everything is back to "normal" no more add CC at checkouts, 21 day delayed payment option is back at the sites where I could opt for it and all my subscriptions are restored and back to normal.

On my personal inquiries to PayPal I have not received any answer or solution but all is good now so I'm good.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.