Phone Number Change Issue 2 Step verification Help me please :).

PresleyHD
Contributor
Contributor

I have had to create a new Paypal account to be able to ask this question since I cannot log in with my original Paypal account because it asks for my cel phone number for verification which I no longer have. I have contacted Paypal support at least 5 times with no resolution. My phone number had to be changed. I completely forgot about the 2 step Paypal verification. Anyway, I of course cannot log in to my account. I have contacted support as I stated and so far I am told I am basically **bleep**. I have smart connect attached to the account as well. All my banking information is there etc etc. Has anyone had this issue or had any luck/advise to be able to access their account? I am at a loss. I know all my password, person information, everything that could verify that I am the owner of the account but I keep being told there is nothing that can be done and I can no longer have access to my account. This strikes me as odd since I am able to change my password and answer all the questions etc. I just simply do not have access to my old phone number. I would greatly appreciate anyone that can help me. I have tried multiple times to contact Paypal so unless someone has some ideas or another way to contact Paypal I feel helpless. I understand the security and am glad it is in place but I would have thought that there would be another option to verify if the customer has all the other answers etc. Again I am begging for some assistance. Unfortunately "for me anyways" contacting support has not been helpful. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PresleyHD 

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PresleyHD
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately this has not helped. They keep telling me there is no way to resolve this since I have the 2 step verification and no longer have access to that number. Again I am not sure what else I can do and hoping someone had some ideas. Also "this account" I had to create to just be able to ask a question in the Paypal forum since I cannot from the other account because it asks for the 2 step verification to even be able to comment in the community forum. I hope I am making sense and to be honest I hope I am missing something in your reply. I would gladly talk to anyone who can resolve this. I am open to any suggestions. 

Login to Me Too

genie1127
New Community Member

I have the inverse problem but same result.  I changed the email address and now it appears there's some mismatch between phone and email address (even though all updated) and payments to me are not landing on my summary page to approve.  There is ZERO support for this.  The person who wrote me back in a Customer Support chat was useless.

Login to Me Too

PresleyHD
Contributor
Contributor

I hope that no one else has to go through this mess like I have. There is zero reason for anyone to have to go through what I have and "luckily" I was able to get my PayPal account back. So I ended up as a last resort reaching out to my phone provider. They worked with me and we found my old number had not been taken so they were able to give me that number again which let me use the 2 step verification and login to my PayPal account. The first thing I did when I logged in was turn OFF the 2 step verification. Again I am frustrated but so thankful the phone company was able to help me regain my PayPal account as sad as that sounds. I still believe this is a total mess on PayPal's end. There has got to be a way a customer can provide ALL the other information and contact PayPal support and they should be able to access the customer account and make the necessary changes. I get security and work in this environment myself. Instead I talked to 5-10 PayPal customer representatives and there was not one person who could help. I hope this at least this helps someone and give you some hope. 

Login to Me Too

Kmv4
New Community Member
I cannot help you but I’m in the same situation. So frustrating. I have called many times-can only get the automated response-no human. I have recurring payments attached to my PP card and can’t access my account because my cel number changed. This is infuriating.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kmv4 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.