PayPal Geo-Blocking: IP-ranges are not up-to-date (31.29.x.x)

hmkemerz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am a PayPal customer for many years, but are currently facing a problem which hinders me to use PayPal normally.

I try to describe the problem and kindly ask you to forward my request to your network managing team, as I suppose the solution for my problem to be found there.

Please excuse my poor English, but I hope you can understand my concerns.

In November 2019, wilhelm-tel (my ISP) has reserved a new IP number sequence (31.29.48.0 – 31.29.63.255) at RIPE, the network coordination centre (NCC) for Europe.

On December 3rd 2019 wilhelm-tel assigned an IP address from this range (concrete 31.29.59.53) after the nightly disconnection of the Internet connection.

When I tried to log in to PayPal on December 3rd 2019, I received an error message that it was not possible to log in.

There was no further clarification visible to me.

I had a phone call with PayPal customer service and found out that PayPal refused my login attempt because the IP address mentioned was supposedly assigned to country IR (Iran).

For security reasons, registration is therefore not possible (customer from DE, IP address from IR).

However, the RIPE database clearly states that this IP number sequence belongs to wilhelm-tel and thus to Germany.

Interestingly, Iran still belongs IP-wise to Europe and the IP address ranges are thus also administered by the RIPE NCC in Amsterdam.

After many phone calls and emails with PayPal, RIPE and wilhelm-tel I am as smart as before.

Neither wilhelm-tel nor RIPE and certainly not PayPal see any need to do anything.

As a customer, I sit between all the chairs.

This is, as you will understand, an unsatisfactory situation.

I finally helped myself (but not every customer has the necessary background knowledge) on my Windows PC via the interface of my router by renewing the lease of my internet connection.

This gave me a new IP address, this time not from the mentioned range.

Now I check every day whether or not the IP address assigned to me by wilhelm-tel is in the area in question.

Unfortunately no change could be observed so far.

Whenever an IP-address from the range mentioned above is assigned to my router, the problems described above reoccur.

I kindly ask your network engineering team to check this and update your geo-blocking tables by loading the “latest version” of the RIPE-database.

Obviously PayPal is still using an old version of this RIPE-database.

I would expect PayPal to update such vital information on a day to day basis.

Enclosed you see a screenshot of the RIPE-database, clearly stating that the IP-addresses mentioned in my mail all belong to Germany (DE).

Thanks for your support and response.

A screenshot from the RIPE-database proving that wilhelm-tel is the owner of the IP-range mentioned above cannot be added to this thread as PayPal will automatically remove it. Sorry.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.