Forced Password Change

Nick_W2
New Community Member

What’s with this forced password change stuff?

Tried to buy something today, and I get a "suspicious activity message", PayPal "suggests" that I change my password. But! I have no option. There is no "suspicious activity", but I have to change my password. OMG what a pain.

So, go to change password, then it wants to verify it’s me with a phone call. Like we are living in the 1980s or something. Unreal. So go ahead, call me, text messages obviously don’t exist. It then says it called me (which it didn’t), and can’t verify who I am.

So I give up on the purchase (thanks PayPal), and log into the PayPal web page. Same rubbish about "suspicious activity", must change password. Now I have to check a box that says I’m not a robot, and then I have to select pictures of storefronts!

Absolutely the most bizarre of things. PayPal, there is no "suspicious activity" I don’t want to change my password, answer calls, pick pictures. I want to buy my item, and PayPal is quick and easy. If you are not quick and easy, you have no point in existing, I might as well use my credit card.

Does no-one else think this behaviour is asinine?

And no, for the umpteenth time, I am not a Robot!

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

Wildsprite
Contributor
Contributor

I honestly don't get why Paypal is doing this. they have forced me to change my password multiple times in the past month in a half. twice today even. they told me if I added 2FA it would stop but it hasn't.  I do have a VPN but I don't use it with paypal at all. I'm seriously considering trying to find something to replace them with at this point. If they keep making things inconvenient like this I'm going to question their worth as a service.

Login to Me Too

chris_matic
New Community Member

Good luck with finding an alternative. I tried to purchase on Ebay with the credit card option and told it was not available.

PayPal will lose a lot of customers because they cannot (or do not want to) understand VPN and I am fast running out of swear words to call PP as a password as they force a change so often. At least I know I am not the only 'criminal' using PayPal. Wow! Who would have thought that buying a £5 phone holder was sooo criminal that they needed to re-establish my cover.

Well, frack me! To post this I now have to prove I'm not a robot. I didn't know that robots were so angry!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Avemo3
New Community Member
Everytime I log in to PayPal, it forces me to change my password. So, I'm not certain what the purpose is of the password in the first place if I have to have a new one every single time I log in...
Login to Me Too

SylenThunder
New Community Member

Same here. It's every freaking time I log in if I haven't logged in for a few days. Even if I don't use VPN for the logins this happens. There is no other activity. Heck in many cases I haven't even had any changes in transactions or account balances. I've troubleshooted every possible browser issue that might cause it, and still it keep happening every freaking time.

How has this thread gone on so long with zero official word on this?

Login to Me Too

Alanielle
Contributor
Contributor

I also added a two factor authorization. Now each time I change my password I also need to enter that damn numeric code they send me.

And actually two factor helped only for the first 3 weeks. And then the insanity started again.

I've no clue what happens in the heads of PayPal devs. Are they all mentally not OK or something...

Login to Me Too

helaman83
Contributor
Contributor
Change password again? And again and again and again and again. Whats going on paypal? Can you just do me a favor, just do what evay is doing, asking to send a verification code only but not change password.... pls.
Login to Me Too

Alanielle
Contributor
Contributor

That's insane. I can't stand it too. That's by far the most stupid AI logic I've seen in my entire life.

Just the hell are they devs are doing? Ever thought about users or simply have their own 'artistic' visage?!

Login to Me Too

Mark-e-Mark

This is Freaking annoying - please remove this terrible experience.

I have changed my password on my desktop - so I can use a password manager to store the password - its un-readable and I don't even know what it is .

this is the most secure - I also have 2fa setup - however the paypal app - still forces me to CHANGE MY PASSWORD

OMG !!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Khun_Tilt
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. And when I went to tick the "Me Too" box I had to again reset the password...and it wanted me to create a user name so I'm not sure it it has created a whole new account for me or what. The, in order to type this message I had to state I am not a robot...and halfway into the second line I had to to that again as it said the verification I am not a robot had expired. And again just now.

Can someone tell me in this day and age when there are plenty of anti virus software packages  - Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, etc - that have secure payment elements built in why PayPal is even relevant anymore. (and again with the I'm not a robot). In the absence of any compelling reason being forthcoming I think I will be ditching PayPal forever.

Login to Me Too

bklovepaul

They still do the same thing. This terrible paypal! STOP making me change the password idiots!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.