Unable to Login to Paypal Through Ebay (Login Window Hanging Endlessly)

RyaRho
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm encountering an issue where I am unable to login to PayPal (to pay for purchases) on eBay. I enter my email and password and the login window hangs endlessly without logging me in. Strangely, I'm able to login through the PayPal site just fine. I've cleared my browser cache, tried a different device, both a different PC and on mobile, and I get the same result each time - the endless wheel with no login. Because of this I suspect it might not be an issue on my end. I rely completely on PayPal to make purchases on eBay, so this is a pretty big inconvenience.

Has any one else encountered this problem and does anyone know of a fix?

Paypal.png

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

john833
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.

I did get an email claiming to be from paypal about a week ago asking me to click on a link and supply some information for security reasons.  It seemed like classic phishing to me so I ignored it.  Could it be legit?

Login to Me Too

RAJAH45523
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I experienced exactly the same problem just 2 days ago. (19th.)

No way would the Paypal page open after I hit the login link.

Just a blank page.

I was able to complete the transactions using my Debit Card.

This is not the best way to complete the payments though.

Much prefer to use Paypal....like a lot of the sellers prefer.

This is with Firefox v62 & v70.

I also tried again tonight (21 st.) to buy a cheap item as a test, but nope.

Same result = blank page.

Even after I logged into my Paypal Acct. & checking & verifying my details, the same problem

occurred.

I then sent a message to Paypal using their Secure Message option & explained the situation.

Awaiting an answer.

Login to Me Too

RyaRho
Contributor
Contributor

So I tried yesterday using Microsoft Edge (which I never use for anything) and logging into PayPal at the Ebay checkout seems to work now. It is still broken in unmodified Firefox and Chrome though (not sure why). Hopefully this is temporary and this will get fixed for those browsers, but in the mean time I've finally found a use for Edge!

Login to Me Too

RyaRho
Contributor
Contributor

I think you're right in suspecting that, that 100% seems like a phishing attempt to me. I haven't gotten any email like that claiming to be from PayPal since encountering this issue.

Login to Me Too

RAJAH45523
Contributor
Contributor

Hi y'awll,

Hopefully, this will "fix your problem."

This is with Firefox version 60 & up to the latest version.

After checking the eBay Help site for the same/similar issue, I tried the following...

1/. If you are running the Adblock Plus extension, then open it using the GEAR icon at the top right.

1a/. Not sure if Ublock Origin settings are the same.

2/. Select "Whitelisted Websites."

3/. Add the following... ebay.com + pay.ebay.com + paypal.com.

4/. You can also add... eBay.com.au + pay.ebay.com.au + paypal.com.au....(USE YOUR LOCALE .xx or whatever.)

5/. Close Ad Block Plus.

Now, log in to your Paypal account.

1/. Click the GEAR icon at the top right, next to the Log Out button.

2/. Select the SECURITY tab, then scroll down to "One Touch® for auto login at checkout."

3/. Select the "Opt In" option. (Not real sure of the terminology. Just say "yes please.")

3a/. Follow the instructions.

4/. Log out & try your eBay purchase again using the Paypal option.

NOTE: The Paypal page that opens (your account) will have an option/link for you to select the payment used.

Just below the listing.

Select it to change the payment option you prefer.

(Mine opened to my Debit card which I changed.)

I hope this helps most, if not all that strike this damn problem. 🙂

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.