Security snafu: wrong phone still listed

KnoxDoulas
Contributor
Contributor

I've updated my account with a new phone number and made it the primary 2FA device. However, PayPal still wants to send 2FA texts to the old number and no matter what I do I can't figure out how to have the system recognize that I've updated that number. Every time I want to log into PayPal I have to request that they call me by clicking "having trouble logging in" and then typing in the code given. If PayPal recognizes the correct phone number to call me, why not recognize that that's the number to text as well?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Drew

Hi KnoxDoulas, 

I appreciate you reaching out to the Community and apologize if this situation has caused confusion. 

Have you tried removing the security key in general from your account to start fresh? Also, is the phone number that it's attempting to text still listed on your PayPal account? My suggestion would be to remove the incorrect number or one that you're not going to use and re-add the security key. 

If you're still running into an issue, we offer support through social media at www.Facebook.com/PayPal or www.twitter.com/AskPayPal. 

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

KnoxDoulas
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, the old phone number has been removed. There is no record of it anywhere in my account that I can see, so it seems like an internal snafu where my data is still associated with that number.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Thanks for the clarification. In this case, you would want to reach out to our support team for assistance. You can also submit a ticket to our Merchant Technical Support team so they can work with you directly to identify the issue. 

Regards, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.