How can I update my OLDER account info?

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

I just opened a brand new PayPal account because I can't update my older account's phone number and therefor I'm not able to log-in.

Either I can't receive any security check codes to my mobile phone because they are sent to my previous landline phone number that I no longer use.

So, how can I log-in to my older PayPal account?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

The request I have sent to PayPal customer service over 50 times:

Please update my PayPal profile.
My new phone number is 358-4*****449. Not 09-6*****0 any more.

I can't log-in to my PayPal account and do it myself.

Now, when I log-in to my NEW account I get this:

Authentication required
As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you.
Find out more
Receive a text message
 Mobile ‪04• ••••449‬

And when I try to log-in to my OLD account I get this:

Quick security check
We just need some additional info to confirm it's you.
Have us call you
We’ll show you a code on the next screen. Use it when you get our call.
 Home 09 ••••00

Then I send customer service a request to updated my out-of-date number 09 ••••00 to 04• ••••449. All I get - if I'm lucky - as a response is: "We tried to contact you. Seems that your number 09 ••••00 is out of order. Please provide a proper number."

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Today's useless advice:

If you do not have access to that email address, you can add and confirm another email address on your PayPal account. Here's how:
1. Click the Settings icon next to "Log out".
2. Click Update to the right of "Email."
3. Click +  to the right of "Email."
4. Enter your new email address and click Add Email.

We automatically send an email to the address when you add it to your PayPal account. Here's how to confirm your email address:
1. Click the "Confirm Your Email" link in the email.
2. Enter your PayPal password.
3. Click Confirm My Email.
As soon as you add and confirm this email address, you can email us again by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. We?ll be able to answer your questions and provide you with specific account information.

Result:

Add an email address
We're sorry, that email address isn't available because it's already linked to another PayPal account. Try linking another email address or ask your sender to send the payment to a different email address that belongs to you.

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Today's second useless reply:

Hi there,

The PayPal press office handles media enquiries only.

PayPal customers should please visit PayPal Help Centre where we can assist with your query. Alternatively, you can speak to PayPal's customer services team on Twitter @AskPayPal, or visit the PayPal website for more information.

Many thanks,
PayPal Press Office

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Today's 3rd useless reply:

If you can’t log in because you forgot your email address or password (or both), you may be able to regain access to your account by following these steps:
1. Go to www.paypal.com
2. Click Log In.
3. Click Forgotten your email address or password?
• If you remember your email address, enter it where prompted, then enter the security code shown and click Continue. You’ll be given the option to regain access to your account by receiving an email, automated phone call or a text message.
• If you don’t remember your email address, click Recover it now beside ‘Forgot your email address’ and follow the on-screen instructions.

If your password was entered incorrectly too many times, please call us to reset it.

We hope this information has helped.

That solution requires logging-in and I'm unable to do that because I can't update my phone number. And I can't update my phone number because I can't log-in. And I can't log-in because my phone number is out-of-date.

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Tried PayPal Assistant chat with this inquiry but it does not respond:

Can't log-in to my original account because it has an out-of-date phone number.

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Today's useless reply:

Let me explain you step by step how to get in touch with us via logged out chat.

• 1. Go to   https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us
  • 2. From 'Common Issues' select 'Password and account issues'.
  • 3. Click on 'Login Problems'.
  • 4. Scroll down a bit and click on the 'Message us' bubble.
  • 5. A pop up window will appear, click on 'Chat with us while logged out'.

I genuinely appreciate your patience, understanding and thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to contact us.

Stay safe and have a great day. 

No such option. You can't click the bubble and when you click 'Message us' there is no 'Chat with us while logged out'. You just get redirected to log-in.

Login to Me Too

KariHakkinen
Contributor
Contributor

Please update my PayPal profile.

My new phone number is 358-442308449. Not 09-615400 any more.

I can't update my phone number myself. And I can't update my phone number because I can't log-in. And I can't log-in because my phone number is out-of-date.

PayPal customer service does not answer to my emails.

Best regards,

Kari Hakkinen, Finland

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.