Prevent customer from changing Quantity in cart or remove Quantity field

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

I use the Paypal shopping cart on my website.  Since Paypal made a change to the shopping cart allowing customers to hit the + sign to increase quantity it has caused a lot of confusion with my customers.  I do NOT want customers to be able to change the quantity.  Is there a way that I can keep the customers from changing this field or remove it from the shopping cart?  The quantity field should always be a 1. 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Are you specifying the quantity in the button code?  If included in the button code it should just use whatever qty you pass without allowing them to adjust it.

<input type="hidden" name="quantity" value="1" />

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am setting quantity to 1.  The problem is that once in the shopping cart, the customer can hit the + or - sign to increase or decrease the quantity.  I do not want the customer to change the quantity.  They get confused.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Can you post the button code please?

Login to Me Too

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

I do not use paypal buttons, but pass a URL string to the paypal shopping cart  which is working fine. The only problem is that the customer can change the quantity field when they view the shopping cart. This confuses them since I have volume pricing on the website and I pass a price for a certain number of items.  I want the quantity in the shopping cart to always be 1 which indicates 1 pricing unit.  I have a friend who does use the paypal buttons and he has the exact same problem.  If setting the variable quantity=1 does not prevent the customer from changing the quantity once they are viewing the shopping cart, is there a way I can pass a note to customer that will always  be displayed at the bottom of the shopping cart?  This way I could tell them to leave the quantity field alone.

I attached a picture of the shopping cart so you can see what I am talking about.

Thank you!

paypal shopping cart

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

ok, so for cart buttons the quantity is allowed to be updated by customers, but, would a buy Now button work for your integration? With Buy Now buttons you can set the "undefined_quantity" variable to "0" which would mean the customer cannot update/change the quantity.

Login to Me Too

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think that the Buy Now would work because the customer may not be ready to check out..  I have other items for sale that they may wish to purchase.  Is there any way to put a note to the customer at the bottom of the shopping cart and I could remind them to leave the quantitiy field alone?   

Thank you for your help. 

Login to Me Too

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

Can paypal make a change so that "undefined_quantity" variable to "0" will work for the cart buttons?  I really need to solve this problem as I am losing sales because of it.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Hi, let me look into this some more to see if there is another alternative

In terms of making this work for cart buttons, it will be a feature request and not something that would be solved very quickly, changing it could have ramifcations on other live integrations so generally when reviewing these things it takes time. 

Login to Me Too

zapman
Contributor
Contributor

I hope that you are able to make a change so that I can set a variable which prevents the customer from changing the quantity field or removes it altogether.  We currently have to call every customer who places an order to make sure that they placed the order the way they wanted to.  They get very confused with the + and - sign next to the quantity and think that they have to increase the quantity to match the number of items they want even though they already ordered the correct number with a quantity of 1 due to the way we price. 

Thank you for your help in this matter

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.