Paypal Button Security issue in Firefox

grantmaloysmith
Contributor
Contributor

I have been embedding Paypal buttons onto my websites for years. But now I am getting "mixed security" complaints from the Firefox browser (latest version). When I remove the PayPal button from the page and re-upload it, the complaint goes away. What I am referring to is the URL bar icon that should show a green lock on a good HTTPS protocol page.

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 12.07.54 PM.jpg

However, when I embed the code from a paypal button (yes, it's hosted on paypal - this is just the little embed code that paypal provides for each button). Note that the code starts with HTTPS so it's theoretically secure. But does some of the code have insecure items? Even the "BUY NOW" icon would be enough to trigger a warning if it was not secure. This might be enough that Firefox, Chrome and Safari all throw up an exception and gives this page a "mixed security" ding in the URL bar, like this one in Firefox:

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 12.06.58 PM.jpg

This is not cool because it looks scary to the average person, who will have no idea why it's happening (even I am not 100% sure). And they would hesitate to go forward with a purchase. My websites are both HTTPS secure, but this PayPal button thing is a problem. Does anyone have a solution? Searching the PayPal help area reveals nothing about it. Again, when I remove the PayPal button code, the problem goes away, and I get the green padlock. On Safari it's not quite as scary looking: I get the padlock on every page except this one, which simply doesn't show a padlock. In Chrome I get the "INFO" icon which is in between secure and dangerous. Also not good. Chrome screen shot:

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 12.20.20 PM.jpg

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Security is a big deal today, and I don't like these problems with PayPal buttons.

Thanks, Grant

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Slithy88
New Community Member

Hi. I recently updated WordPress / Divi Theme and plugins on my site and getting exact same issues with PayPal buttons on FireFox and Chrome. (Not sure if linked to updates), but this is a total pain in the butt for all same reasons you state above. I use 'SSL Insecure Content Fixer', together with Really Simple SSL plug-ins, but these don't work anymore (mixed content flags on several pages, specifically Shop page). Wondering whether to use Divi buttons instead of PayPal which link to PayPal account instead? Surprised not to see more posts about this major issue (on general search) or any other replies to your post! Did you resolve this? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.