Delete my account, no you may not have my ID.

GDPR-Breachers
Contributor
Contributor

You're not getting any more data from me.  Email and phone number are good and I have Password based access.

I cannot delete cos of limitation.  But the limitation is "We want your ID" - The answer is no.

However, this little fake Catch 22 you've created does NOT undo Data protection laws.

Also ..... The bot is a joke!

Hi, I'm the PayPal Assistant. How can I help? Choose one of these options or add your question below.

1:44 PM

- PayPal Assistant

Can't close account because you demand ID

It looks like you want to resolve a limitation on your account. Is that correct?

- PayPal Assistant

Yes

I know limitations and information requests can be frustrating. One moment while I check your account...

There are no limitations or information requests on your account. If you are looking for help on another account, please log into that account and request help again.

Let me know what else I can help you with.

- PayPal Assistant

OK then close my account

It looks like you want to close your account, is that correct?

- PayPal Assistant

Yes

1:45 PM

We're sorry to hear that you're thinking about closing your account.
There's no fee to keep your account open so if there's a chance that you might want to use our service in the future, it's a good idea to keep your account open.

If you still wish to close your account, please choose one of the options below:

- PayPal Assistant

I'm having trouble closing my account

You have 1 issue preventing you from closing your account.

Your account appears to be locked or limited. You'll need to resolve this prior to closing your account.

- PayPal Assistant

You can talk some sense, 1 minute ago you said I have NO LIMITATIONS and now you say I HAVE ONE LIMITATION

It looks like you want to resolve a limitation on your account. Is that correct?

- PayPal Assistant

Yes

I know limitations and information requests can be frustrating. One moment while I check your account...

There are no limitations or information requests on your account. If you are looking for help on another account, please log into that account and request help again.

- PayPal Assistant

I'm done

The label on that button at the end there really describes how much use you lot are.  Should I just go speak to the ICO about you and put you on 28 days notice?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GDPR-Breachers 

You can't close a limited account.

If you don't want to provide the legal i.d. requirements that paypal have to request then the account would stay limited forever.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GDPR-Breachers
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot hold data on a person indefinitely either, if you cannot prove you have a use for this data, you must delete it.  This law supersedes any internal procedural nonsense paypal have come up with to justify the behaviour.

Since I already verified this account and have been using it for ages now, *If* I were laundering money for the Mafia, they're already in big trouble with the government for letting me get this far.

I have support on chat right now saying they CAN allow me to delete ....... so we've definitely not earned solution and most likely not deserving kudos.  However, that person is trying to persuade me to close the chat like the last support who just closed the case on me, I suspect they're not being honest.  (I know, totally shocking right?)

Login to Me Too

GDPR-Breachers
Contributor
Contributor

Identifying me on the fly is a completely different request to asking me to upload more and more government / financial documents to the actual account I'm trying to delete.

No one has asked for this, they ask me to verify as if I am continuing use.

The support chat has a function for me to attach files but they haven't requested anything.  I'm pretty sure their claim of being able to delete was a lie because they are not replying to me now and it's past 17:00 and absolutely zero email has come through to say restrictions are lifted.

Oh I just got a last minute :

"

Since the limitation is still active, the request will actually be sent directly to our back-office team and they usually respond within 48 to 72 hours and since they can only communicate with you via email so make sure you keep an eye for that so you will be updated.

Thank you for contacting PayPal and for being a valued customer. You may close the conversation by selecting End Message.

"

REALLY Keen to get rid of me on a promise, they need to understand I have zero trust in a company who claims they can't ID me years after using the account.

If they at least asked me to upload ID to the chat or something rhyming with what you said, I'd have some faith in that.  Really don't know who to believe here, probably best I consult with the ICO.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.