Your account has been limited until we hear from you‏

johnriley3
Contributor
Contributor

hi all

i received an email from 'paypal' and i am not sure whether it is officially from paypal. basically it informed me that my account has been limited until i provide my bank account number and my credit card number.

the email was sent at 16:45 however i did not read it until 20:30 which was 15 minutes after i had made a £3.00 payment through paypal. this suggests that the account hasn't actually been limited to make that payment, at least.

the other concern i have is that my main email account, which i use to log into paypal, did not receive the email

thanks in advance

john

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Two easy ways to tell if its a spoof email are:

1. Does it address you as Dear Member or Dear Paypal user etc? If so its a spoof as paypal always address email to your name ie Dear John Smith etc.

2. Does it ask you to enter sensitive log in or account info via a link in an email? If so spoof again as paypal would never do that, they would ask you to go to the site and log in from there.   

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

novascotia1972
New Community Member

I received an email similar to this one today.  I actually panicked because it did seem so genuine - and I have done all the phishing tutorials from paypal.  It didn't have my name, but a username that I sometimes use elsewhere.  I immediately logged into paypal using the official website (not the link) and of course there was no message on my account!  But these emails are getting more sophisticated, and more convincing all the time.  I will forward this one to the spoof email now that I know for sure.

Login to Me Too

CreditonJules
Contributor
Contributor

I've just had a very similar email.

I did click on the page link (rightly or wrongly) and it asked me to log in and then to fill in all my personal details and my Bank details.

I was unsure if this was genuine or not so have sent it to spoof@paypal.com for them to check out. 

I logged out and then logged back in using my preferred way and could see no mention about my account being restricted.  I'm currently doing an anti virus check and will change my password details just in case!

Julie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.