Unable To Fund Using Credit Card/eCheck Only

redwhiteandwho
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I've used PayPal for many years now (mostly for eBay auctions, but occasionally to send money), and never really had any problems.  Today, however, I decided to use PayPal to send money to my father as I owe him a sum of $550.  I thought using PayPal would be ideal, as I could fund the payment with my credit card, and thus accumulate the rewards points instead of just using cash.

Upon trying to change my source funding options from my bank account to my credit card, I receive the error;

"Some payment methods are not available for this transaction.

Credit Card - This payment cannot be funded with a credit card."

And below this, a message that states "This payment can only be funded with eCheck."

I am a verified Premier member, and can't understand why this error is occurring.  PayPal, after some toying, allowed me to send $200 funded by my credit card, but now I cannot send any more funded by my credit card.  Is there some sort of credit card limit I'm missing?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Amanda411

Hi redwhiteandwho,

If the transaction is outside of your regular account activity, it is possible that your payment choice may be limited or the transaction declined.

We screen transactions in many different ways, and sometimes these precautions may affect an account in good standing.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

nickelsto
New Community Member

Our company has purchased many items using the credit card, some of which were quite expensive and never had a problem.  I am currently attempting to purchase an item for $91 and the option to pay with CC is not appearing at all on the screen.  The only options are eCheck, Bill Me, and Paypal balance.  I tried to add the card, thinking somehow it was deleted from the system, but I received a message back saying the card is already linked to the account.

Is there a way to get to other payment options that I am not seeing?  Is this something that will be happening more often?  I'm a little less inclined to use paypal if this option is not available.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

redwhiteandwho
Contributor
Contributor

Nickelsto,

I believe you need to empty out your PayPal balance (withdraw it to your bank account, or however you typically get your money from your PayPal balance), then the option to use your credit card will reappear.  This is what i was told, anyway.

PayPal_Amanda,

Thank you for your reply.  I guess it is good to know PayPal is looking out for our safety, but this is still a large inconvenience that basically means most of PayPal's advertising ("send money using your credit card") is entirely false.  I wish there were a way to confirm when a transaction is taking place that it is an intentional, legitimate transaction, rather than the system assuming that it is better off to not let me do fund my transactions in the way I see fit.  Either way, I was in fact able to send the money, just had to break it into two different payments instead of one big lump sum (and wait 24 hours, I guess something had to reset).  Still, thanks for your reply.

Login to Me Too

faidesu
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Amanda was right. As soon as I remove fund from PayPal and have 0.00 balance, I can pay with or use credit card again.

Thank you for posted this topic. You really saved my day.

Login to Me Too

faidesu
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I mean redwhiteandwho. His/her reply was really helpful and it worked!

Login to Me Too

HeyHowAreYou
New Community Member

Come on, can you just tell us what we have to do!  I need to make a $1512 payment with my credit card via paypal.  What is it that I have to do for Paypal to let me?  This really is BS.  What is the point of using PayPal if they won't let me use it for the purpose of sending money?

Login to Me Too

jilllister

im having the same problem. i need to make a $1,750.00 payment and it will not like me do a transaction for over $200.00...what are my options here? will i have to make 8 payments of $200? is this possible? can i do it over and over?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.