shipping charges different on PayPal than on USPS postage calculator

a24
Contributor
Contributor

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I entered the same info into PayPal for Large Package Parcel post 4 lb 9 oz, size 15x17x7, which is how I had it calculate on my listing.  However, when I went to create my shipping label on PayPal, the charges are $9 more!  I've gone over this a few times and can't figure out why the difference?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Most likely the extra cost is because the package qualifies as a "large" package. Go to the USPS website and select the large package option... it will then ask you for the package dimensions and calculate the postage correctly regardless whether the large package surcharge applies.

According to the USPS website, you should use "Large Package" when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches, or... for packages more than 1 cubic foot.

If you are unsure of your package category, select "Large Package" on the first page of the price calculator. You will then be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct price will be calculated.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/PopUps/pop_up16.htm

Login to Me Too

a24
Contributor
Contributor

I did enter the Large package option on the USPS postage price calculator.  It doesn't qualify for very large because of the dimensions.  It prompted me for the dimensions, weight, and from/to zip.  On USPS it calculates to $10.78, on PayPal it shows $20.16!  I guess I should just take it to the Post Office and have them calculate it?!  This sure is frustrating and I've run into this problem before with large packages. 

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

What is the from and to zip code?

Login to Me Too

a24
Contributor
Contributor

from 08230 to 77662

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Hi a24, Your package (17 x 15 x 7) doesn't qualify as a large package.

The girth of your package is 17 + 15 + 15 + 7 + 7 = 61 inches. If you select the correct "Package/Thick Envelope" size, the PayPal calculation will match the USPS calculation.

Here's the package size definitions...

Package Sizes - Domestic only

• Package - A package is a parcel less than 84" when you add the length + girth. Length is the longest side of a package. Girth is the distance if you wrapped a string around the 2 smaller sides of a package.
  • Large Package - A Large Package is a parcel where the length + girth is over 84" and less than or equal to 108". Length is the longest side of a package. Girth is the distance if you wrapped a string around the 2 smaller sides of a package.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Shipping/shipping/USPS/Popup_ShipUSPSHelp&InsCovera...

Login to Me Too

a24
Contributor
Contributor

On the USPS postage price calculator, it defines a large package as yes, as the length plus girth  greater than 84 but less than 130.  But, it also states "any dimension over 12" and to use Large package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.  So, now what should I do - just choose package/thick envelope and go with it?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@a24 wrote:

But, it also states "any dimension over 12" and to use Large package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.  So, now what should I do - just choose package/thick envelope and go with it?

Yes... choose "Package/Thick envelope" as the type when using Parcel Post shipping. It's my understanding that the 12" any dimension applies to Priority Mail shipments.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The confusion could be easily eliminated if both PayPal and the USPS didn't ask the seller to select "large" or "extra large", and... just simply required the seller to enter package dimensions and weight. This would eliminate all confusion about which option the seller should select.

Login to Me Too

a24
Contributor
Contributor

I agree!!

I'm just going to select package/thick envelope.  Otherwise, this would be the 3rd package that I'd have to "eat" the difference in what the buyer paid for shipping and what it actually costs to ship!  Thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.