...fees on shipping charges?

confab2
New Community Member

Anyone besides me wondering why Paypal charges a seller a fee on a shipping charge? I just sold an item for $700, and a USPS-quoted shipping charge of $80 was added on. Paypal charges me a fee based on $780.  I didn't sell the item for $780..I sold it for $700. USPS makes the $80, not me. Why charge me a fee on money that isn't mine?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

deliguy770
New Community Member

Charging a fee on the shipping cost is a hidden fee (which PayPal says they do not do - yeah RIGHT) as well as a rip-off.  I for one am going to start charging a "Handling Cost" in eBay to offset the shipping fee transaction fee.  Although PayPal will probably charge me a fee on that as well.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Not defending PayPal in any way but shipping is part of the total amount.   You are using PayPal as a service to process a transaction on the total amount.  Why then would shipping be exempt? 

Yes, you can charge a handling fee but remember, that is also part of the total amount.   You won't get 100% of the handling fee but you will get most of it.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

bodyrocks
New Community Member

they will and do charge.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Payment services and merchant accounts base their fee on the total sent payment amount . Is there any payment service which excludes the shipping portion from the fee calculation?

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Seems some folks just don't understand Merchant Accounts and credit card processing.  Bottom line, when someone pays with a credit card, the total amount is processed and you pay a fee on the total amount.   That's just basic business regardless if the transaction is online or in person.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Bunny9
Contributor
Contributor

Why does PayPal charge a fee on the shipping cost.  My shipping is actual.  NO handling.  Why would PAYPAL charge me a FEE on shipping.  NOT fair and should be illegal...........................................

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

There is nothing illegal.  You need to understand how transaction processing works.  The fee is based on the TOATL amount, period.  This includes any sales tax and/or shipping, it's the TOTAL amount.   Think about it, when you use your credit card in a store, the merchant is charged a fee on the total amount.  Why don't you ask a shop owner who accepts credit cards.   If you're really not happy with this, find another service.  Note, you will still pay a transaction processing fee on the the total amount regardless of the service.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.