bank,

25yearsandmore
Contributor
Contributor

I do not want to post my bank account info on paypal.  However they said I have reached my limit.  I am completely paid up.  What is the deal, what can I do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Helper

Why not add your bank? You can't do much until you limit resets after a certain time.

Login to Me Too

iamthedaughter
Contributor
Contributor

Why would I?  Why does PayPal need that type of information? 

There are other ways for verifying someone exists and the only reason they are requiring a bank account is because it's easier for them to gain access in case someone contests a payment. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi 25yearsandmore-

Just as a bank or credit card company would ask you for additional proof of identity at some point,most likely when signing up, PayPal will eventually require you to demonstrate your identity further with us. 

If you have reached your account sending limit, you will not be able to send additional funds without, it sounds like in your case, adding a bank account.  Keep in mind, this doesn't have to be your personal bank account if you want to open a different bank account and add that to PayPal.  You're not expected to maintain a monthly bank account balance to have a PayPal account, just demonstrate you have access to a bank account.  (A bank may require a minimum monthly balance in the account, so you would want to ask about that.)

We're essentially saying that while we don't know everything your bank would know about you, if a bank has given you an account and you have access to that account (we'll send two small deposits to the bank, and you'll tell us the amount), you have demonstrated your information at the bank and at PayPal is correct. 

For US accounts, the other way to get Verified status to lift your sending limit is to get approved for a PayPal Plus Credit Card, or PayPal Buyer Credit. To apply for a PayPal Plus Credit Card, click the Plus Card link at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Thanks,

Jason

<script type="text/javascript"></script>

Login to Me Too

iamthedaughter
Contributor
Contributor

If a credit card company requires more information, people use check cards numbers, not necessarily bank account information. 

But, let's take a step back, here.

Most people use PayPal so they don't have to use a credit card for on-line purchases.  They use PayPal so they don't have to disclose banking information.  That is the purpose of PayPal.

Has PayPal had any problems with my account to date?  No.  So, if everything is running smoothly for my account, there is no need to give any more information than necessary.

Login to Me Too

SusanH

Several years ago I signed up with PayPal for the purpose of making on-line purchases; I elected to use my credit card and not my bank account.  Apparently I was assigned a purchase limit of $10,000.  Twice within the past couple of days I have been unable to pay for purchases because I am so close to that limit that the purchase would put me over.  Instead of increasing my limit, PayPal insists I now give them my banking information which I do not want to do; I only want them to have my credit card information.  I e-mailed but never received an answer so I then called and was told it was not possible to increase my limit without giving my banking information or using a PayPal card instead of my credit card.  What gives with this?  Apparently my only option is to provide information that I don't want PayPal to have or close my account and not use PayPal for on-line purchases in the future.  There has never been a problem with my account so I don't understand this at all.  Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

iamthedaughter
Contributor
Contributor

To PayPal,

I have no intention of using PayPal if I am forced, and I reiterate, forced, to use my checking account information.  I already use a card and that should be sufficient to verify my account.

You are harassing people and the reason is quite obvious.  It's far more difficult to close out a checking account than it is to request a new check card with a new number.   If you have the bank account number, it's easier for you to keep someone from stopping payment while contesting a purchase.

If you want verification I exist, I'll be happy to send you a utility bill or a cable television statement.  I'll even send you a letter from my bank stating I do have an account, but it will not include my account information. Heck, I'll even have them call you or you can call them, but not in my lifetime will I give out my checking account number.

The ball is in your court.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.