Difference between PayPal Balance and "Available Balance?"

Sully
New Community Member

I have a brand new PayPal account I set up for a group of people to make some donations.  They have made the donations and now I have a "PayPal Balance" of $180 or so.  

I am trying to send this money to the person we owe it to and I can't do it because PayPal says the transaction exceeds my "Available Balance."  

On my main account page, all I can see is a PayPal Balance of $180, and no mention at all of an "available balance.'  

This is a brand new account and it's been set up to accept a donation.  It's not going to verified.  How can I get this money out??  

Thanks,

Sully

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Xeyla
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal balance is the amount you should in the account, and the Available balance is how much you can use at the moment. For example, if you transfer $20 to the acount, it could take a day or two to acutally arrive into the account. So your Available balance will be $20 short of your Paypal Balance.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have a brand new PayPal account I set up for a group of people to make some donations.

You did clear this trrough paypal first...right.

Also who may Paypal accounts do you have

Login to Me Too

cathym
Contributor
Contributor

Pay Pal charges a fee like Western Union does to send money. A certain amount for every hundred dollars. It is quite suprizing to find this out the hard way. And their fees are unforgivably high considering how many customers they get money from everyday. They are a bank that doesn't take any losses either, so the profits they make with their service are mind boggling I am sure.

. So you need to find out what they are charging you so you will know how much is "available"  Or:

I haven't found out yet but it would probably be better to set up a bank account for your charity that is set up as an account in pay pal. Then you just transfer the money to that account and send a check to whom you owe it to.

I just request money from a sale be put in my bank account. I am waiting to see if I am goint to pay a fee. The buyer had to pay them 9.00 on a 125.00 purchase. So it cost him 134.00 Dollars total for the purchase because he paid me through Pay Pal.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Pay Pal charges a fee like Western Union does to send money. A certain amount for every hundred dollars. It is quite suprizing to find this out the hard way. And their fees are unforgivably high considering how many customers they get money from everyday.

What.... paypal charges at most 2.9% + .30 for every transaction.  If you are a high volume seller that rate is much lower.

So the more customers the les the fee should be. Try telling that to the credit card companies

I just request money from a sale be put in my bank account. I am waiting to see if I am goint to pay a fee.

Paypal does not charge a fee to transfer money to your bank account

The buyer had to pay them 9.00 on a 125.00 purchase. So it cost him 134.00 Dollars total for the purchase because he paid me through Pay Pal.

The buyer should not have paid your $9.00 paypal fee.  It is against Paypal's and Ebay user agree for the seller to charge the buyer the paypal fees

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The buyer had to pay them 9.00 on a 125.00 purchase. So it cost him 134.00 Dollars total for the purchase because he paid me through Pay Pal.

The buyer should not have paid your $9.00 paypal fee.  It is against Paypal's and Ebay user agree for the seller to charge the buyer the paypal fees

Also the standard fee is 2.9% + 30 cents.

On a $125.00 purchase the paypal fee would have been $3.60 cents + 30 cents, total of only $3.90.

So if he sent you $134.00 then paypal took $4.19 for the fees.

Sounds like the buyer  got ripped off twice

Login to Me Too

mandah
Contributor
Contributor

paypal charges way more that 2.9%. i just recieved a 42 dollar paypemt and the charge was 1.94 dollars, if i take out the 30cents from the charge it leaves 1.64 which is 3.9 percent of the payment. PAYPAL ACTUALLY CHARGES 3.9%.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.