Refund from Negative Balance?

caniaitalia
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold an item for $3000. The buyer paid, and once the money hit my Paypal account, I transferred it to my linked bank account. This made my Paypal balance $0. No problems.

Now, the buyer has opened a return request and I have accepted. Immediately, eBay held the funds from the original payment, which had subsequently been withdrawn from my Paypal account to my bank, so my balance now reads -$3000. I will be giving the buyer a refund once the item been returned and marked received.

My question is, what do I do, and in what order? I am afraid of transferring the $3000 from my bank account to my Paypal account to bring the balance to $0 (since it's now -$3000). Then, when I issue the refund, where does the money come from, if they think my balance is now $0? Does it magically reappear as a +$3000 balance once I hit the "refund" button on eBay?

Basically, I'm afraid of getting hit with double the cost, if that makes sense, because of the funds "hold" that has been placed on the transaction creating the negative balance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

caniaitalia
Contributor
Contributor

Bump. Can anyone please help?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.