Paypal Charges to receive money?

paulvictoria29
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Someone wants to buy something from me on Gumtree and wants to make the payment via Paypal, but I am aware that I may be charged to receive this money?

Could you let me know if this is the case or if there is a way round me NOT paying any charges?

Also would I be charged to then withdraw the money from my PayPal account?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paulvictoria29

UK to UK paypal transactions are 3.4% + 20p.

The only time you never pay a fee is if a someone pays using the friends / family option BUT its against Paypal rules to sell and use that option and can lead to your paypal account being limited. Also the buyer can do a chargeback and as you accepted a gift payment you would have zero seller protection.

Finally be very careful when someone offers to buy and use Paypal as there are lots of scams about.

Make sure the funds are in your paypal balance first (even if pending they will still show in your balance).

Make sure you don't get conned with the 'shipping agent' scam where they tell you via a fake paypal email to pay the agent via western union before you get your money.

Make sure they don't scam you and tell you that you have to send trackable and provide that number before your funds show up, its true that releases funds more quickly with the new seller hold BUT the funds would have shown FIRST and not after.

When in doubt come here and ask.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

paulvictoria29
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, will keep this in mind

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.