Is this a scam

meganjs
New Community Member
I have chairs for sale 100 pound each. The buyer has agreed the price and says he has a courier ready. He says he has put 450 in my Paypal and that I need to transfer 210 of that via money gram to the courier for items to be sent! I know I sound stupid but is this a scam? My Paypal balance is 0
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@meganjs

Oh yes   >>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often say they can't view the item but will arrrange a shipping agent / courier.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't. It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union.

Also their is no seller protection on items personally delivered or collected.

For those items CASH ON COLLECTION is the way to go.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.