Hello, 2nd post. Does anyone find the post timeout too short?

xenek
New Community Member

Did anyone else find this forum is non-functional for any real or serious use, aside from overly simplistic interactions? Eg. When I work to describe a complicated issue and include detail that allows a 'full and complete' remediation, the website times out, meaning that the content is lost?

I'm a technician so I had manually copied to notepad programs the text I was sharing, so I haven't lost any detail, but it's a compounding factor in the value perspective people have of technology. My mother for example, who types very slow, would have lost her typed question to the forum, on every attempted interaction, unless she included so little detail that it would require a lot of additional questions, dragging out the resolution and creating a need to be attentive to the forum in a way that's not often available to many people who have real jobs or duties.

Because of this, I suggest this forum isn't the best and most suitable one, unless Paypal or Khoros and any intermediary app and internet and network developers can work out how to enable someone (think of an elderly person who is slow to type as they work very hard in other areas of society and are not touch-typists, who makes a real and concerted effort to share their best views in a constructive way, only to loose the majority of their post, as the signout occurs and the autosave is missing important parts of the data) take their time to create meaningful content that is rich in detail, and also make time to edit it so that it is clear, unlike this particularly long sentence.

This is a complex issue to resolve, but I'll observe that many providers have resolved it, and there are systems I've used over years that allow me to take an entire 24 or greater hour period, between starting a post, and it being submitted. I'll also note that the very time-consuming to-and-fro, is wonderful the way it matches common discussions around a water cooler or at social venues, but that many people who actually care will tend to lean to including more detail and doing a better post at the outset, and that the failure caused by the timeout meaning the post can't be submitted, affects them dis-proportionally, and those are precisely the sort of people you would find greatest benefit in encouraging.

Also note, I did double-click to select the text, but it only selected a paragraph in my last test, and that means that even if someone was able enough to perform a 'copy paste', they would likely not notice unless astute, that they didn't copy all the text.

Also, I'll note that some forum topics have need for labels, meaning it's unable to post without clicking something that is often 'not ideal' but this forum topic says 'Give your question a label' while there are no labels listed. This inconsistency is frustrating and doesn't add to the customer experience when trying to post support queries in a calm, rational and reasonable way.

Also, I'll note that if you tick the 'I'm not a robot' a few times, as you type a post, review it before sending but then edit it, it actually prevents you from clicking 'I'm not a robot' again. This yet again creates friction to smooth communcations, and damages the experience for new users or people who only rarely use computers, as they hold jobs elsewhere in society. To recover from that I had to find the post under the list of drafts.

The combination is one of high frustration, and it means only the simplest and most anemic detail is shared, any attempt to share detail and improve the post increases the likelihood that the barriers to posting a question become too high.

Again, this means that you loose the people who care the most, who have the most respect and who would invest the most effort to share their view.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.