Seller Scam PayPal western Union and Buy and Sell

girlytoo
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved a email for equipment we had for sell through the buy and sell. It seemed strange because the guy didn't ask the right questions and wanted to buy it through Pay Pal. I call paypal the they told me that they never hear of a buyer being scammed since the money would go into my paypal account. It just didn't sit well with me so I started to search. Most of the scams are to the buyer not the seller. I came across this site which explains the whole scam.

http://gainford.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-paypal-scam.html

pay through paypal then will ask you to pay western Union so it can be picked up and he will add that moneys to paypal then you pay Western Union and Paypal stops payment.

Well I just recieved another email almost identical to the first one.

" Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up,go on www.PayPal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.what is your final price including the PayPal charges?."

See... didn't ask anything about the product just he needed to pay through PayPal. Just wasting my time is bad enough... I know sometime you want to sell something to just want to get it out of your hair and you are willing to be very accommodating, but be careful.

Hope this helps someone from being scammed!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

marilynn
New Community Member

Thank you happened to me today. Do I need to change passwords ect ?

Login to Me Too

girlytoo
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't change passwords. It doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I was told I could call some government agency and report them. I did a search through their ipaddress and it looked like they were in a some starbucks in California somewhere. WiFI I think. Anyways I don't think the goverment would do much anyways.  (as nornal, not big enough)

Just make sure if it sounds strange than it probably is. Who in thier right mind wants to give you money without even looking at a big ticket item. Just place there email in the block senders list of your email. They'll just get another email somewhere else. I know that some people send them to site with virus's like the one guy did, but I don't know how to do that. 

Just be CAREFULL

It just makes me mad how some low life will prey on others.

He didn't get us today... So it is a very good day! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.