Why doesn't paypal have to show how fees were calculated?

bobabooey
Contributor
Contributor

My account shows fees for items I've sold, but there isn't any listing showing how they were calculated. If I apply the percentage they claim (plus .30) it doesn't match what they charge.  I also don't understand why the buyer has the option of deciding if the seller should have to pay the fee if a debit card is used. Is there a way to shut that option off, or do I just have to start charging handling fees?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Was it a cross-border payment? A cross-border payment will have an additional 1% fee.

The recipient of a payment cannot decide who pays the fee. For "Purchase" payments, PayPal charges the fee to the recipient.

For "Personal" payments, the sender decides who is charged the fee. The Fees section of PayPal's User Agreement explains the policy in more detail... go here to read the policy...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.