fraud

britishgoose01
Contributor
Contributor

Right, I was at work and went on my break and switched my phone on(Nights so was about 1am-ish) my phone had the fingerprint paypal app on. It beeped and made purchase noise...I havnt bought anything as I hadnt been paid yet. I checked and it said I had bought an Iphone for about £400. I though what the **bleep**, so tried to login to my paypal and couldnt get access, tried multiple times and my password did not work. I had to recover and change it, took some doing but luckilly I managed it.

The paypal link showed purchase of an iphone off ebay...I panicked and logged in to my ebay. I checked the purchase list and there was nothing there. I immediatly messaged paypal, then sent an unauthorised payment. request against the buyer. I then contacted my bank and the fraud department of my bank and they cancelled my card and have disabled my account. I was also told to inform the police. Paypal have been useless.

Someone has hacked my paypal, gained access and purchased a phone via my account. The seller actually asked me what the problem was and I told him I didnt know who he was and didnt make a transaction and wanted to know how he got my details for the sale. I got an apology and thats it. Because of this thief and I do blame him I have had to cancel cards and disable my bank, paypal dont seem to have done much.

I have been asking question on the safety and security of my account. No reply, There will be a formal complaint aswell as this is disgusting. I want to know why the user has not been struck off, Theres no way anyone could have accidentally used my account without my password.

Am not sure I will be using paypal much longer, after all these years, then this happens. And when this happened, there is no 24/7 number, why is that? This is fraud, banks have 24/7 phone numbers, technically paypal is a bank. There should be a 24/7 contact number.

My account was also for some reason £7 in negitive. they said dont worry but I have had it topped up £10 because with whats happened I dont trust anyone.

Can anyone advise me on what else I can do

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@britishgoose01

If you filed a paypal dispute then paypal would take a few days or so to investigate and if they found it was unauthorised then you would be refunded as you would be covered by paypals protection.

They may well send the refund back to the card used to pay for the item so i hope you have not unlinked it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

britishgoose01
Contributor
Contributor
They know my card was disabled and bank account disabled from advise from my banks fraud department just I case they had managed to get ant details. There is another account connected to it for now but the original one has gone
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.