Opening a PayPal claim after declining insurance

dvansickle21
New Community Member

I'm looking for some advice on potentially opening a claim against a seller for an item I never received.  In the auction listing, the seller disclaimed that unless the buyer (me) purchased additional shipping insurance, they would not be held responsible for lost or damaged items.  I use Ebay quite frequently and very rarely (if ever) have I seen a seller request the buyer to purchase additional shipping insurance, so of course I passed on it...and of course, the item hasn't shown up yet.  My question is this; If I open a dispute, will PayPal take into consideration the seller's disclaimer, absolving themself of any responsibility for the lost item because I declined the additional insurance, or is that irrelevant from PayPal's standpoint?

Thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The seller has an obligation to ensure your package arrives within a reasonable time and in the condition the item was stated to be in.  While you did not purchase insurance it would still be on the seller to provide you a refund if he/she can not prove the item was delivered.  Don't worry about his disclaimer, consumer rights trump it.

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.